New
Find
Notify
Tools

rcbs neck sizing die
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
have been given a brand new neck sizer tried using it for the first time yesterday, it will only neck down to about 3mm off the shoulder can't get it any lower!!
RS5 press with rcbs shell holder. the only solution seems to be to turn a bit off the bottom of the die, or throw it in the bin and stick with the lee!!!
Am I missing something stupid here??

many thanks

Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
You only have to neck size enough to hold the bullet.

I never do more than the first half of the neck, and have had no problems.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
There's also an advantage in not sizing all the way to the shoulder. The expanded neck near the shoulder helps the cartridge remain concentric in the chamber. Nothing "droops" in the chamber.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A neck-size-only die is made so that it will not touch the shoulder. The other guys were right when they wrote that you do not need to size all the neck anyway. Are you sure that it is as much as 3mm (0.120"), which is nearly 1/8"? That seems like a lot, but not necessarily an excessive distance. If it is that much, call RCBS and see if they will correct it. You might want to hunt with that ammo some day and having more of the neck hold the bullet increases the durability of the ammo in the field. Geo.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What kind of a Lee die were you referring to Griff? A FL die?? Otherwise, you might consider getting a Lee Collet Die, greatest thing since sliced bread! Search for collet die discussions on this forum, you'll pick up the advantages.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MHO,
I have a lee collet die but it doesn't seem to hold the bullet tight enough for my liking.
If I full length size with my rcbs it gives a tight interference fit with the bullet!
whereas my lee will not,I have tried reducing the dia of the mandrill but it will not crimp any tighter on the lee.

griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote