THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Is there a book that gives case capacity and chamber pressure for different rounds?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a book that gives case capacity and chamber pressure for different rounds?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted
I want to get back into reloading. I have only reloaded for one round. A friend showed me how to load for a wildcat, but that was 16 years ago and I didn't keep it for long. Anyway- I have vols. 13 and 14 of Cartridges of the World and an old Sierra manual somewhere. I also ordered Ken Howell's "Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges for Rifles and Handguns" from Huntington's. Any other recommendations?

Posts: 7516 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Case capacities:

http://kwk.us/cases.html

Reloading data w/pressures:

https://www.hodgdon.com/basic-manual-inquiry.html

I don't know of book that has both.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links. Data for European rimmed cartridges looks pretty scarce in most sources I have seen. I might need to learn German.

That Hodgdon link was great, though. I would not have guessed that the 9.3x74R was such a low pressure round. Necking down to 6.5 or 7mm...eh, could be a different story.

Posts: 7516 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you just need a basic reloading manual, I like Hornady, and read and study the basics before you start on wildcats. NO book can give you max loads for your rifle, especially wildcats. Only your rifle can tell you it's own max loads. You have to work up those yourself. And all of the major manuals are good; read them first.
9.3x74 is a low pressure round as it is for single shots and double rifles; never bolt actions; hence the low pressures. Lots of pressure data in Hogden and Nosler data. irc

Posts: 17178 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Or get a Quick Load program and you will have unlimited access to all possible combinations of case capacity, powders, bullerts, etc. But realize, that it still does not represent your particular barrel. Or it might.

Posts: 17178 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LEE gives case capacity's in CC volumes.

Posts: 4987 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found a Nosler manual at half Price Books tonight. Nice little haul

One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
Steves Pageswould be worth a look
https://web.archive.org/web/20...pages.com/page8a.htm

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The older manuals are good to have as some obsolete cartridges do not appear in the newer ones. A newer manual such as Hornady, Nosler or Sierra will have information on the newer WSM, WSSM, Creedmoor and such.

If I can be of any help just pm me and I am happy to help any way I can.

Joe

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LongDistanceOperator:
Thanks for the links. Data for European rimmed cartridges looks pretty scarce in most sources I have seen. I might need to learn German.

I can furnish a good deal of information on European rimmed cartridges, at least those currently manufactured. I have a copy of a handloading manual put out by DEVA, which is the German agency responsible for proof testing rifles. All of its loads are pressure tested, and many of the loads feature American made bullets, powder and primers. I read and speak German fairly fluently. Feel free to send me a PM with any questions you might have.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
While case capacity and chamber pressure are correlated, you need to remember that different brands of brass & even different lots from the same brand will vary in case capacity.

So there is no single universal rule or data / measure.

The Lyman reloading manual is the best source IMHO.

You will need to establish the load for a set of specific components - rifle, case, bullet, powder & primer as well as seating depth. Any change in one variable will change the pressure & velocity as well as accuracy.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have any number of manuals, some dating back to the 1960s.

But I've subscribed to and I'm finding I'm using Load Data and Ammo Guide a lot these days to get me in the ball park . . . then, I use my own records to refine things.

Ammo Guide and Load Data are, IMO, great for consolidating lots of data in one place.

For appreciating the underlying principles of reloading, I like the Lyman and Hornady manuals and the wealth of information available here, on this forum.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
quote:
Originally posted by LongDistanceOperator:

I can furnish a good deal of information on European rimmed cartridges, at least those currently manufactured. I have a copy of a handloading manual put out by DEVA, which is the German agency responsible for proof testing rifles. All of its loads are pressure tested, and many of the loads feature American made bullets, powder and primers. I read and speak German fairly fluently. Feel free to send me a PM with any questions you might have.

Thank you. I'll get in touch with any future questions. The whole reason behind wanting this info was a search for a rimmed 6 or 6.5mm that can reach out a bit, without exceeding 55,000psi. It's for a falling block that I want to build. (I'll have the threading and chambering done by a gunsmith) The plans are reprints from a magazine project by Walter Mueller. He went with .225 Winchester. I have decided on 6.5x57R.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
While case capacity and chamber pressure are correlated, you need to remember that different brands of brass & even different lots from the same brand will vary in case capacity.

So there is no single universal rule or data / measure.

The Lyman reloading manual is the best source IMHO.

You will need to establish the load for a set of specific components - rifle, case, bullet, powder & primer as well as seating depth. Any change in one variable will change the pressure & velocity as well as accuracy.

I'll order a Lyman manual. I recently picked up a Lee manual at a gun show. Those measurements in CCs are hard to wrap my head around. They give powder charges in number and size of Lee "scoops". Also unusual. Thankfully they include grains, too. I really like the format of the Nosler manual, with its bit of history for each cartridge. I'll have to get a newer version of it. I got the Ken Howell book Designing and forming custom cartridges. A lot of good info. Measurements on a lot of cartridges, but I wish it had case capacity.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B L O'Connor:
I have any number of manuals, some dating back to the 1960s.

But I've subscribed to and I'm finding I'm using Load Data and Ammo Guide a lot these days to get me in the ball park . . . then, I use my own records to refine things.

Ammo Guide and Load Data are, IMO, great for consolidating lots of data in one place.

For appreciating the underlying principles of reloading, I like the Lyman and Hornady manuals and the wealth of information available here, on this forum.

I'll check out all of those. Another vote for Lyman. Cool.

Thank you, gentlemen.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
The falling block is one of the strongest actions and can handle 65,000 PSI.

Yes the older 6.5 rimmed cases were for pre 1920 split bridge actions and were low pressure - more like 46,000 psi or less.

These cartridges were also used in drillings at low pressure.

IMHO on a falling block action, you are better served with a more modern round if you want reach. But then - nothing wrong with a rimmed case if that is what you really want.

You are wise to be aware of pressure limitations of the older cartridges. You will also learn a lot by measuring case head expansion of all loads for the first 3 or 4 reloads while using a chronograph.

Safe shooting.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ken Howell's book that you have on order gives total case capacity. It's a good one.

Fred Zeglin's book "Wildcat Cartridges: Reloader's Handbook of Wildcat Cartridge Design" is also very good. It's focused on design and making reamers and dies, as well as loading and determining pressures. Fred liked the RCBS loading SW.

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote