Find
Notify
Tools

which hornady powder measure?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am getting either the lock and load or the Bench rest Model,,,,

Price isnt the consideration because I have found the Bench rest Model for a couple dollars more than the Standard LNL. The standard model seems to have more accessories,

Which would you prefer if someone was getting one for you?

I'll be loading with a single stage press, not worried about putting it on a press.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one Hornady measure, and it did not hold up over time, charges thrown soon started to vary a lot and the measuring chamber worked itself loose. I'm not sure what model that was. I changed over to a Redding measure and was immensely more satisfied with that - albeit at a higher price. Later, the Redding measure started developing some of the same symptoms of age, but it stayed fine a lot longer, and was a lot more consistent than the Hornady ever was. I'm now on my second Redding measure (BR3), and happily throw very consistent charges. For heavy, extruded powders I use an RCBS electronic powder dispenser. Saves my nerves from having to measure extruded powders, even if it is not the fastest way of measuring charges.

Good luck with whatever you get.

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
I've got the Deluxe powder measure and it has worked very well for me, If I had to get a new one, I'd get the Benchrest model, it's a good as anything out there today, the deluxe model will be as accurate as + or - 1/10gr. with any small grained powder, the BR model is plated for long life. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both the LnL and the older Deluxe measure, along with a Harrell's. They all work fine. My Harrell's is still pretty new, but I find myself using it more and more and the Hornady's less and less (except for loading revolver on my Pro-Jector--Harrels' doesn't go that low)

Guess as long as you'll never need to throw less than 5 grains or more than 65 grains, the benchrest model will work fine; if not, then get the LnL with the pistol and rifle micrometer inserts. Think they even make a .50 cal kit for the LnL...

Posts: 77 | Location: W. Branch MI USA | Registered: 22 April 2002Reply With Quote