New
Find
Notify
Tools

GS Custom HV bullets
 Login/Join

<Al Smith>
posted
Has any one used the GS Custom HV bullets?

How was accuracy?

Thanks,

Al

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
If you search the forum, I believe you will find several discussions on this topic that will answer your question. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<JohanW>
posted
Al,
Once you get used to the concept and have tried them out, I am convinced that you will ,like me, never use another bullet again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They sure do shoot accurately...I have PH's that have shoot both elephant and Buffalo with the GS solid and will use nothing else. I shoot the solids in my double rifle at less pressure than a conventional bullet and to the same POI at the same velocity....

I will be using the GS HP on game this year, as well as the solids in a Buffalo cull.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I have 120gr HV's in Nosler Custom .280 Remington brass sitting ready for me to range test on Friday.

I am good friends with the New Zealand agent for GS Custom.

Cheers,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Kiwi, I would be very interested to know the outcome of your range session with the 120's in 7mm. Can you post them or email them to me. My e-mail is rob1sg@aol.com

thanks

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
I got out to the range on Friday with my .280 Remington, loaded with the 120gr GS Custom HV projectiles. I had 25 loaded, 10 with ADI 2208 (Varget) and 15 loaded with ADI 2209 (H4350).

To cut a long story short, 2208 in this case with these projectiles is too fast and the primers were actually being pushed out of the pockets. These are a very slippery bullet and not alot of pressure to push down the bore.

With the 2209 loads, I went to 61.5grs of powder which is right up into the neck of the case so a pretty heavily compressed load. However, once again pressure just wasn't there. After firing this load, bolt lift felt like there was no cartridge in the chamber. Primers were very flat, but no sign of excess pressure on the case. Velocity with this load was 3197 fps. I am going to try Vhitavori N550, it has a similiar burn rate to H4350 but compresses more into the case. My goal is 3250 - 3300fps which is I think going to be easily obtained.

As far as accuracy, this load was between 1/2 and 1 MOA.

My rifle is a Remington Mountain Rifle so has the skinny barrel, 22 inches in length, not free floated, but with a ridge of wood pressing on the barrel. The most astounding thing I observed was how little the groups opened up even with the barrel too hot to touch.

I am totally sold on these projectiles, even if they cost a little more than conventional bullets. As a matter of fact their advantages far outweigh their cost.

Cheers,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jagter
posted Hide Post
Load data per manufacturer -
quote:
Calibre: 280 Remington
Bullet: 284120HV
Powder: H4350
Start Load Grains: 54
DO NOT EXCEED SPEED: 3220

That is based on a 24" barrel.

quote:
With the 2209 loads, I went to 61.5grs of powder which is right up into the neck of the case so a pretty heavily compressed load. However, once again pressure just wasn't there. After firing this load, bolt lift felt like there was no cartridge in the chamber. Primers were very flat,(???) but no sign of excess pressure on the case. Velocity with this load was 3197 fps.................
My rifle is a Remington Mountain Rifle so has the skinny barrel, 22 inches in length, not free floated, but with a ridge of wood pressing on the barrel.

With your 22" barrel you're close to max if not already there, I would say! (Only 23fps away from the maximum recommended velocity as per manufacturer above.)

Michael, GSCHV's are indeed magnificent bullets, but each rifle out there has it's limitations as it is clearly spelled out by the manufacturer with very good reason. In his own words:
quote:
It is quite clear to me that the relationship between maximum pressure and muzzle velocity, is closer than the relationship between maximum pressure and powder charge.

OWLS
My Africa, with which I will never be able to live without!

Posts: 654 | Location: RSA, Mpumalanga, Witbank. | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Jagter,

I have been working closely with Martin, the GS Custom NZ Agent on these loads and at no stage has he told me not to exceed 3220. In fact, he is of the opinion I could probably get 3250 - 3300 fps. Why is the 7x64 shown with 3250 yet the .280 only with 3220 (both from a 24 inch barrel), when both cases are close enough in capacity. I was always lead to believe that the 7x64 had slightly less case capacity than the .280

If my rifle shows no pressure signs then there is no harm in working up loads that go above reloading book maximum loads. So long as you follow all safety precautions. In my 20 years of reloading, all of the firearms I've ever owned have accepted loads over maximum. I have achieved this by working from the starting load and increasing by half a grain, then when the load has started showing pressure signs I have backed off by a couple of grains. This has usually resulted in a load a couple of grains over maximum. As well, the accuracy has usually been better when slightly over maximum. I have never had a rifle blow up or shoot my own loaded ammunition that exhibits constant signs of excessive pressure. If I want more power from a case I will move up to the next larger cartridge.

The AR2209 & 2208 loads described above were only initial test loads to see if the 2 powders were going to be satisfactory. I'm going to try VVN 550 as this powder has a similiar burn rate to 2209, yet not so bulky, but works exceptionally well in long skinny cases with light bullets. Ideally I would like to see powder sitting below the neck, not half way up.

Regards,

Michael.

One of Us
Picture of Jagter
posted Hide Post
Michael,

It is always healthy advise to stick to the manufacturer's recommendations. Wink

Take care!

OWLS

Posts: 654 | Location: RSA, Mpumalanga, Witbank. | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Jagter,

Thanks for your concerns.

Best regards,

Michael.

One of Us
Picture of Jagter
posted Hide Post
Michael,
Read this thread
and specifically what Alf wrote re my own and Gerard Schultz's views on relationship between P.Max and velocity - velocity maximums and their importance becomes very clear in this thread.

Enjoy!

OWLS

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
I safely hit 3316 fps today, using 58grs of N550. 3392 fps was the highest velocity I achiveved safely using 60.0grs but 58.0 is what I am sticking with from now on.

Regards,
Michael.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Michael:

If it is available in New Zealand, try Winchester 760 ball powder for your 120 grain loads. I have used it quite efficiently with 120 grain bullets in my 7x57 Ackley Improved, which is only five grains less water capacity than a 280 Remington.

I was running a maximum 3335 fps average with this powder in a 24 inch Douglas air gauged barrel on a Brno Mauser with no pressure issues. W-760 is slower than Varget, faster than 4350 and N-550, but appears very consistent in both extreme spread and standard deviation as measured by my Oehler Chronograph.

PM me if you want exact loading data.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote