New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speaking of bedding
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Smiler Was wondering if anyone had bedded the factory composit stock on a Ruger MK 77 Mark 2. I was told by some it wouldn't help much and you had to go to an expensive stock. Also what kind of bedding kits can be purchased to do it your self. I am good at doing things like that and would like to do it myself if fesable to do so.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 'smith won't even attempt it, as his experience is that the bedding material will not adhere to the stock material, leaving you with a loose bedding block in the stock.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
The problem I have found with the factory Ruger MKII synthetic stocks is that they are too flexible. I wouldn't bother bedding them unless you are trying to fix a problem. A simple laminate stock from Boyds or Richard's would be a significant improvement.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerYou mean the laminate stock will bed well? Might look in to it.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had remarkable results bedding flexible synthetic stocks by putting a layer of silicon in between the forend tip and barrel letting it bont to both. To remove it you just use fishing line and kind of saw thru the silicon. This is worth a try. When you put the barreled action in the stock on top of the silicon tightten the action bolts to the torque you plan to use and wipe the silicon that oozes out off. This makes the stock as stiff as the barrel and the silicon dampens vibration to a degree.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen the cheaper molded stocks bedded successfully if you first drill a series of small holes(about 1/8")in the bedding area to give the bedding compound a better purchase.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IT WILL STICK !!
I think that you can try Marine tech it is sold at boat shops it is used by many gun smiths for bedding , it will adhere also get a good release agent. It will not fix the flex problem in your stock , as nothing will except a new stock.a lot of the new guns come that way.I have a new Remington BDL that came with a bum stock , I just replaced it what a difference.be sure you buy a very good stock or your going to get the same junk as you already have , . I think its a game , so you buy stocks.
Bill