New
Find
Notify
Tools

loads for 30-06 /165gr/ VVN 160
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for loading data for 165 gr. Hornady SST bullets in 30-06 cal. using VVN160.
For this bullet there is no data available in the Vihtavouru manual.

Is there anyone who developed loads for this combination or a similar 165 gr. bullet?

Posts: 223 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just go with their 57.2 to 63.7grains and youll be fine. might be the load data for a 167 lapua bullet but its much of a muchness i think

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
reindeer,

I use VV N160 in many of my .30/06 Sprg. loads. It is a good powder for this application and I might add my loads with this powder are extremely accurate as well, all of them easily under 1 moa., depending on my fatigued eyes, bench set-up and a good day, usually much less.

I might also add that I'm an expereinced reloader (35+ years) who verges on the anal about case prep, OAL, consistancy, Die adjustment, bullet seating, primers, etc.

In 165 gr. I'm using NBT's, NP's and Sierra HPBT's and the CT BS 168 grain bullet as well with VV N160. My finished product is normally between 60.0-61.0 grs. depending on the bullet, OAL, etc.

I'd suggest a start at about 56.0 grs. to see how this bullet/powder combo gets digested in your rifle.

Good luck with the Hornady SST bullet, I tried 2 boxes of them but for some reason in several .30/06's - just didn't manage to find that super accurate sweet spot & accuracy that I'm getting with other bullets.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote