New
Find
Notify
Tools

.30 cal sabots in .30 carbine?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been hankering to get a carbine chambered for the 5.7 MMJ, but I find them elusive and expensive. Can I load my .30 carbine with .223 x .30 cal sabots and get similar performance? Will they feed? Loads?

Posts: 3718 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
here is the load that I have tried out of my M1

55 FMJ in sabot C.O.L. 1.8 too long too fit in the magazine. 10 grains of Bluedot went 1836 fps.

I really have not played with sabots in that caliber much. I am sure you could load them to fit in the magazine. They did work the action on my rifle though.

hope this helps

Jason

Posts: 81 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old post but I have a new question, I just thought of.
Bought a 30 carbine Blackhawk today at a gun show. what about sabots in a revolver? Anyone ever try this? Also I have some Speer 110 grain .308 HP's in a rifle configuration, any reason not to load these for a Blackhawk 30 carbine revolver, with the right amount of powder and OAL?

Posts: 55 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remington33:

. what about sabots in a revolver? Anyone ever try this? Also I have some Speer 110 grain .308 HP's in a rifle configuration, any reason not to load these for a Blackhawk 30 carbine revolver, with the right amount of powder and OAL?

The only draw back I could see would be the lack of a cannalure to prevent the rounds from slipping the bullets under recoil. But since weight and diameter are the same as the RN and SP variety... Hell why not. Also might consider if successful the 110 V-Max.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has been my experience that sabots with their light bullets lack the impulse to operate the action on a M1 carbine.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote