New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Newbie here!! I got a Lyman T mag on the way ...just wondering why I've never seen any picks with the powder measure mounted on the press....?
And anything anyone can tell me about the press thank's,Tom

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
The measure usually mounts to the expander/charge die, not the press.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/l...1&cartridge=6&die=20

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 7/8" x 14 thread adapter is included with the measure for mounting in one of the turret holes if you don´t want to use Lyman's hollow expander. Or you can mount it on a separate stand.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
wondering why I've never seen any picks with the powder measure mounted on the press....?

I can't answer for those who do but to me it seems awkward, clumsy, to use a measure on any press but a progressive.

My old Lyman 6-hole turret, a Spar-T, was mostly "retired" about 30 years ago when I finally just got a good single stage press. It's good enough for handgun ammo but I dont' load from start to finish with each case even then, that process is too inconsistant and slow for me.

My powder measure has always been mounted on a stand.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my "pea brain" it was necessary to include the powder measure on my new Lee turret. Because I sometimes forgot to remove the case from the press for powder charging. When it happened for the second time I ordered a dedicated Lee powder measure that fit on top of the expander die.
By having the measure on the turret you are less likely to miss powder charging, as bullet seating is the next and last step. With the Lee press, powder dispensing is automatic as the die both expands the mouth of the case and operates the powder measure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't put your powder measure on your Lyman turret press. This press is not a "progressive" press (a press where the case stays in place through the entire sequence of loading operations and emerges as a loaded cartridge). Progressive presses are the only presses on which powder measures should be mounted -- and then only for handgun cartridges or perhaps spray-and-pray ammuntion for auto rifles. Despite the availability of all of your dies being at-ready in the turret, you should accomplish one reloading process at a time (resizing, repriming, charging, bullet seating, etc.) on the entire batch of cases, not process one case at a time through the entire sequence.

Instead, mount your powder measure on the edge of your bench with the small bracket that normally comes with it. You will find that you will charge an entire tray (50 or so) rounds at one time and that there is no advantage to having it mounted on the press.

There are a number of disadvantages to mounting it on the press. In the first place, the pounding action of the press will cause the amount of powder that is metered to vary according to how much it is compressed by vibrations. Secondly, mounting on the press restricts the access to the powder dump so that you can't charge your cases when they are sitting in the loading tray.

Good luck as a new reloader!

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote