Find
Notify
Tools

Primer pocket tools from K/M
 Login/Join

<JoeM>
posted
Hello,
I have decided to start prepping my primer pockets. I looked at the store, which sells K&M tools, and they have one tool that cuts the pocket flat, and another that is used to deburr the inside of the flash hole. Should there not be a third, a little reamer, that makes the flash hole concentric?

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe....now that's anal! One way to get around this is to go to some of the more expensive European brass where the flash hole is drilled not punched.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JoeM>
posted
DB,
Correct, but the doing it myself thing is a motivator. Also I like tools.

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe,

Try one of these universal flash hole tools. I think mine is made by Lee. Not only will they adjust for nearly any caliber, but they remove the burr and uniform the flash hole at the same time.

Removing the burr is the most important. Some cases have substantial burrs that undoubtedly affect ignition to some degree. Some cases have none(use a flashlight to see). Save your targets and you'll see a difference. You could spend more for premium brass, but it makes more sense to use what you have - and to have the ability to make your own premium brass.

I have not seen where uniforming the primer pocket has made much of a difference in accuracy, but it works in theory. You could probably skip this step.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote