New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good way to cast a chamber/throat?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A few days ago I posted a thread about a .257 Weatherby with a fouling problem. It definitely has a fouling problem, but I am not sure I got the straight skinney on the rifle when I bought it. Previous owner said it had never been shot. That was before I knew much about chambers, throats, lands etc. Now I am thinking I got reamed, but not sure. Gun looked as though it had not been fired (at least noticably). Wood was immaculate. Blueing was ummarked. Anyway, I know that I have not fired in excess of 300 rounds through it. The carbon fouling is remarkable and I am working on that currently, but what has me concerned is the throat. In all of my other rifles I can see the distinct edge of where the grooves start. Some of my rifles are more worn than others, but I can still discern them with ease. Not so with my .257. The grooves come down and it is difficult at best to see. I think that casting the chamber might give be a better idea of what I really have. Really starting to wonder if it is time to retire the barrel.

Anyway, what is the easiest way to cast a chamber that will give good results?

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I'm not answering your question...but trying to be helpful. If it's a Weatherby rifle return it to their authorized agent for repair....and specifically ask for a new barrel.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking to make a chamber casting go to www.brownells.com and do a search on CERROSAFE. It melts between 158 and 190 degrees I believe and can be used over and over again. Hope this helps.

Dennis

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300Winnie,

Are you aware than Weatherby cartridges have freebored throats? Thus there is no rifleing after the neck for about a half inch.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote