Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 7X57 vs. 280
 Login/Join

<JOHAN>
posted
Well

I like the 7X57 and my second option would be 7X64 brenneke, which is a almost identical cartridge to 280 rem only older and more classic

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Between these two the .280 is the winner performance wise. But, I have a 7x57 and see no need to change. I like the performance and more importantly the nostalgia of the 7x57. Then again I shoot mausers and tend to stick with mauser cartridges except for my .30-06, everyone HAS to have one of those.

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All other things being equal (they never are, but let's suppose so for the sake of the discussion), which do you prefer, the 7X57 or the .280 Remington, and why?

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the 280 is handloaded for a strong bolt action rifle it's a little hotter than the 7x57...but not by much. The 7x57 is more efficient (requires less powder for the same vel.)than the 280. The 280 will shoot the same 7mm bullet a little faster than the 7x57 but it takes a LOT more powder to do it. Availability of factory ammo for the two ctg's seems about the same.
I'm in the process of rebarreling a Ruger #3 single shot to 7mm and decided on the 7x57 for the above reasons. The 280 is a fine ctg. but I don't need (or want--recoil) that little bit of extra velocity.

Jon

one of us
posted Hide Post
7 x 57:

Tradition, plain pure and simple. almost everything we shoot over the size of a 223, or under the size of the Magnums, is based on the head size of the 7 x 57. It is older than the 30/30 and still is more effective.

Low recoil, high sectional density.

Sort of like Corvettes. I am sure the new Vettes will run rings around the older ones, in technology, performance etc.
However which would you rather have, a 2004 Vette or a 1967 427 TRIPLE 2 barrels, Roadster?

One is cool, the other is class!

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote