New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloads for break in?
 Login/Join

Picture of eagle357
posted
I just bought a Savage Law Enforcement 308(26" barrel) and I have a question for you good kind folks.
What do you do to break in new you guns? And would it be better to use factory loads or reloads for the task?
I've been asking around town and there seems to be more opinions than there are people that I've asked!!!
This is the first new gun I've bought for both hunting and target shooting and I'd like to do things right, right from day one.

I'm going to be picking up dies here one of these days, and I would also like your opinion on what bullets( I'd like to use the same bullets for both hunting and target, for the first year anyway) and powder to use.

I don't reload for any of my long guns yet, but I do reload for my hand guns so I have a good idea about how to start and how to work up the optmium loads.
I've been going through all the posts looking for the best loads, and there is a vast wealth of information about reloading the 308, but I'm was wondering if anybody else with one of these Savages could prvide me with some first hand experiances.

Thank you in advance, Michael.

P.S. I'm thinking of topping off my Boomstick with a Bushnell Ledgend 5-15 x 40 MilDot, anybody have any experiance with these?

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Just guessing, but if 'twere me, I'd find a long bullet, in front of the cleanest burning powder I could find, and somewhere near max (clean burning thing again). FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Break in can be done in conjunction with load development and sight in. No need to use special bullets just the ones you plan to use.

I generaly load 3 of each 1gr increment from the start load. That way I can test for pressure and get the rifle on the paper in say 6 shots cleaning between each shot. Then I can start to check for groups with the remaining lots if there are no pressure signs.

At the end of the session I have a sighted in rifle (give or take) a broken in barrel and an idea of what shoots best. If I'm feeling perfectionist I can fine tune the load, like as not I'll load 20 of the best and go stalking/have some fun.

Try one bullet and one powder and limit yourself to a few (say 3-4)quality groups - that way you will get meaningful results.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote