New
Find
Notify
Tools

VV-165
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone loaded the VV-165 in the .300 Win.mag.?If so,would you post the bullet,velocity,barrel length and comments as to ES,SD's,and temperature sensitivity?Suggested loads for a Barnes 168gr.TSX or Nosler 180 gr.
Thank you,
Jim

Posts: 144 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
I ran your combo on QL and you picked the right powder efficiencywise. You should get 100% load density and 99% combustion with 3100 FPS. Of all VV powders, this one is the best on paper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ralph.I did the same.I am using H-1000 at present and get right at 3200.It is 105% compressed according to QL.Shoots pretty good.I was just searching for something that might be better.
Jim

Posts: 144 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375RUM
posted Hide Post
VV 165 is a single based powder, not very popular, and in my opinion not a great choice for the 300winmag. If you want to try a VV powder for the 300, then N560 is a great powder for all normal bulletweights.

Posts: 44 | Location: Norway | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
How did you reach that conclusion?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375RUM:
VV 165 is a single based powder, not very popular, and in my opinion not a great choice for the 300winmag. If you want to try a VV powder for the 300, then N560 is a great powder for all normal bulletweights.

I can't speak for the .300 Win Mag, but the VV 165 performs outstanding in my .270 WSM with the 140 gr Nosler Accubond. It is clean burning, very consistent and provides excellent performance. I just wish it wasn't 50% more expensive than other powders here in the states.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
It's not my rifle but my shooting buddy uses N165 in his .300 WinMag Sako with 180 grain Sierra Match Kings at 2900 fps for one hole groups all day long. Darndest thing, no flyers, no stringing, even after a lot of shooting.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote