New
Find
Notify
Tools

well traveled Sierra's!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you load Sierra you know they are MIA! For months I have been trying to find some more 30 caliber 200 grain Game kings. I have email them with no response. I have "notify me" with several sites. My son was prepping for a plains game hunt in Africa so he was looking for components for practice. I had him looking also. He got back Sunday with a box of Sierra 2165 bullets!!! South Africa had what we do not! $65 about what we will pay here!

Posts: 746 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went into a gun shop in Louis Trichardt, South Africa, in May and they had lots of Sierra bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like our AMERICAN companies are fucking over the AMERICAN PUBLIC in the name of profit!

Hip

Posts: 1881 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Or if you stop at the plant in Sedalia MO you can buy bullets by the pound.
They are in full production and a definitely are in the game to make a profit as any successful company should be.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Let mr yhink this through -

1) These bullets were bought in a retail store

2) The high probability is that the reatial store bought them from a distributor.

3) Given the OP states that the price in RSA was about the same price that they are here I don't see much if any price discrimination by either Sierra or a Distributor.

4) The US relaoding marketplace has got to be at least 5 times the RSA market.

So I am struggling with Sierra saying - let me screw over the largest reloading market in the world to ship bullets to RSA.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Let mr yhink this through -

Mike I was thinking they are "on the shelf" in RSA because their market of Reloaders is much smaller than US. Of course they aren't on the shelves in the US because they get snatched up every day.
There are plenty of bullets getting sold in the US, maybe not enough to saturate the market but there is high production at every facility.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I agree. What I was pointing out is that the likelihood that this is some nefarious activitiy by Sierra approaches zero in my opinion.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Short Econ lesson:
1: Firms in Capitalist countries make what sells best, when production capacity can't fill 100% of orders every day. And 200 grain 30 cals are not at the top of that list. Profit is literally the purpose of any "going concern", not to satisfy everyone's needs.
2: There is no ' in Sierra plural.
3: Ok, one Econ lesson and one English lesson.
4: I don't do conspiracy theories. (They aren't theories)

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a South African who used to work in the trade, perhaps I can add some.

Typically a local wholesaler (of which there are only a few left) would import a big batch (probably a full container). This would include stuff they sell regularly, and some stuff they might never sell.

These are then distributed to retailers, on the basis that they must take some of the slow movers just to get the stuff they really want to sell.
In the smaller towns, such slow-movers may sit on the racks for many years, but it's seen as part of the cost of doing business here.

The company I worked for was one of the larger ones with several branches, and had sole agency agreements with (among others) Federal, Ruger and Leupold at the time (this was in the late 1990's, just as the arms embargos were finally being lifted). I remember in the first batch we got from Federal there were a couple of boxes of .470 NE ammo. In the five years I worked there, we never sold a single packet of that stuff.

In a relatively small town like Louis Trichard, there will be relatively few people who shoot 200gr .30's. And at the price quoted by the OP, I am almost willing to bet that box of bullets had been lying in that shop at least a couple of years. I know this type of thing happens in the US as well just from listening to the Vortex Nation podcasts once in a while.

Trying to find the more common stuff is a huge lottery, and I have probably developed loads for a bullet/powder and primer combo that I could never put together again (and usually it was the bullets I couldn't find again) about ten times, and most of those were many years before the current ammo crisis.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the laws here limit the amount of ammunition, powder and primers a shooter or reloader may legally own to limits most of you guys would find totally un-acceptable. For example, I am not allowed more than 500gr (just over 1lb, so effectively one tin) of any single powder, or more than 3.5kg (about 8lb) of powder in total. And under most licences, I am not allowed more than 200 rounds of loaded ammo of any one caliber. We are allowed to keep as many bullets and cases as we like or can afford, but I won't buy in bulk until I know the stuff works in my rifle.

Posts: 495 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote