THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Would this Aggravate you too?.............................. :(

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would this Aggravate you too?.............................. :(
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought a set of Forster "Ultra" series dies for my 325 WSM. With the seating stem adjusted per instructions (type 1 spindle, lower 1/3rd of button parrallel to vent hole), the decapping pin isn't low enough to deprime the case when sizing.

I called Forster to discuss the problem and the tech sent me 6 new decapping pins and a BILL for them.

OK, first of all the problem is that the dies have the wrong spindle which is what I asked for. Comparing the 325 spindle to my 270 WSM and 300 WSM dies the shank beneath the sizing button is shorter - which is why the decapping pin doesn't stick far enough down. If you aren't familiar with Forster dies the whole point of them is to have the upper part of the neck still in the sizing part of the die while it's sizing the lower part - it keeps everything in line. So you don't want to just adjust the stem lower - it defeats the design of the die.

With RCBS, Dillon, Redding and Lyman any part I've ever needed for a die even if it was my fault was replaced for free, maybe they have spoiled me. I'm aggravated that not only did they not send me the correct part to fix their rather expensive set of brand new dies, THEY WANT TO CHARGE ME FOR THE WRONG PARTS!

I really like some of the feature of the Forster dies and paid 3x the cost of RCBS dies to get these. It's really dissappointing that Forster now joins Lee as the only other manufacturer that charges you for parts that you need for their new equipment to work properly. Or is this just me? Frowner .....................................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I called Forster to discuss the problem and the tech sent me 6 new decapping pins and a BILL for them.

I'd send 'em back with a pithy note stating I asked for tech support, not new pins. Postal regulations prohibit you being charged for anything you did not specifically order via a mail-in form or website, or verbally authorize over the phone. In short, they can't send you something and then demand you pay for it if you never said you want it. If you have not opened the box, I think you can just write the word "REFUSED" on the box and the USPS will cart it back to its origin at the shipper's expense...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
I called Forster to discuss the problem, and the Tech sent me 6 new decapping pins and a BILL for them.

Sounds like you got ahold of a bitch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure would piss me off 2! thumbdown

I use mainly Redding and a few Hornady dies (except Lee FC dies). Both Redding and Hornady are great to dea with clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked to Forster twice today. The first time I called and asked them to please send the correct spindle after verifying that indeed the 270,300 and 325 WSM all use the exact same #25 spindle. The lady I talked to asked me to send back the incorrect spindle with the decapping pins I told them I feel I should not have been charged for.

Just a few minutes later the original tech that I talked to called me back and apologized for the problem with the pins and told me to keep them along with the new spindle that they were sending and that they would immediately credit my account for the cost of the pins. He certainly didn't have to call me back or allow me to keep the pins so in my mind they are trying to do everything they can to make things right. I can't ask for more than that.

In hindsight I see that it would have been best to have had the picture of the three pins together before I originally talked to the customer service rep. That would have allowed me to be more explicit in my explanation instead of expecting them to help figure the problem out:

(The 325 is in the middle, they should all have the same spindle)

The next time I call a customer service I plan to have an exact part number for the part I need BEFORE I call if at all possible.

I'll update when I finally get it all put together correctly, but I did want to comment that Forster does seem to be trying to make everything right.........................DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's hard these days to find fault with the die manufacturers. If they mess up, they are almost always willing to do anything they can to correct the issue at no cost to the consumer.
Now, to get them to branch out into making primers...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
It's really dissappointing that Forster now joins Lee as the only other manufacturer that charges you for parts that you need for their new equipment to work properly. Or is this just me? Frowner .....................................DJ

I have had the Exact same problem with a set of Forster dies in 357 Herret. They sent me a spindle that was threaded longer @ NO CHARGE!
I have Never had to pay for a broken Lee part either??? Must be YOU?? thumb

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Sharpshooter
one of us

Posted 10 November 2009 04:15 Hide Post
it's hard these days to find fault with the die manufacturers. If they mess up, they are almost always willing to do anything they can to correct the issue at no cost to the consumer.
Now, to get them to branch out into making primers...

Rich

X2 !. archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Gald they made it right for you. I've been so spoiled by RCBS that I feel guilty if I purchase another brand.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did want to comment that Forster does seem to be trying to make everything right....DJ
Good for you. But..., you never should have been subjected to the aggravation you went through.

Best of luck with whatever they send you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to let everyone know, I did get the correct spindle from Forster today at no charge. - They made it right.

In hindsight I guess I should have been more specific about what I needed and clarified that I shouldn't be charged for it.

But in any case they did do everything they needed to do to make it right and I'm glad they did. I'd planned to buy more of their dies, I really like some of their features......................DJ