Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forming 22 ppc brass from 220 Russian cases
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone formed 22 ppc brass from 220 Russian brass. Other than running 220 brass through a 22 ppc full length die and trimming, what other steps are necessary. I have a Ruger factory rifle chambered in 22 ppc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
fireforming is the next step.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old Didn't use the .220 brass but used a number of different 7.62 X 39 brass. This ,however, can get a bit hairy because of the large difference in manufacturer's head diameters. Am loading a bunch of nyy brass right now. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only thing you need to do is fire form. No need to run it through the die first. No need to trim first. of Course, if it's a tight neck, you will need to turn your brass. Use a slightly reduced load and put a light coat of die wax on your cases before firing. Do your trimming after they have been fire formed. I wouldn't run them through the full length die until after the second firing. Then set up your die so it bumps the shoulder back .001 - .0015. This is a heck of a cool round. Good luck with it.

Matt Guthrie

Posts: 99 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I shot literally hundreds of them and just loaded and shot to fireform to PPC in several factory sako's, both .22 and 6mm PPC.

I should add that I recently heard that no one is making .220 Russian brass any longer and it is probably worth more as it's original case then as PPC brass.

Just do it.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote