THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Newbie reloading Rem 700 VSF in 22-250 - what's your favorite recipe?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newbie reloading Rem 700 VSF in 22-250 - what's your favorite recipe?
 Login/Join

posted
I know a lot of people use Varget, H 380 and h 414, I'm using IMR 4895. Just curious about other people's recipes.

Thanks in advance

Posts: 2 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 19 November 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
What weight bullet?

I've burned a lot of IMR 4895 and 4064 with 55grs and starting to have good results with Accurate 2460 and 52gr.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes55 grain bullet ,compressed load (40grains) one of the 4350s. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used all three of those powders at one time or another. With good results. I couldn't get enough 4350 into the case to match velocities with the first three.
H4895 is good but it's a slow process weighing each charge. That's a negative if you're tooling up for a high volume Pdog shoot. If you're shooting ground hogs, it shouldn't matter.
H414 meters like water but it wasn't as readidly available as H870 so I went on. H414 is also a good powder for the 7x57 and 7-08.
H870 meters well, gives you a good velocity return and has been very accurate in my rifles.
Accuracywise all three have given me very good to excellent results. Actually, 4350 was very acccurate but couldn't give enough velocity (with a 52-55gr bullet)

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3031 was my powder in 2 rifles.33 grains with a 55 gr bullet But its a bugger to get through a powder measure.

Posts: 145 | Location: Haines Oregon | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks for all the information.
50 Gr Hornady V MAX
Federal Premium LR # 210

I use my 22-250 for Gophers in the summer and coyotes in the winter.

Chris in RD, AB

Posts: 2 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 19 November 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a lot of IMR4895 and have never found a reason to consider it inferior. My bullet of choice is Nosler's 55 grain ballistic tip, and this combination will hold 1/2 MOA or less if I do my part.
My VLS wouldn't tolerate the classic load of 38g H380, and I had pressure signs well short of top speed with WW 748 too.
The next load I develop will likely be fueled by Vihtavuori powder, and when the time comes for a new barrel it will have a 1-7 twist for 77 grain Sierra bullets...

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
My 22-250 is the Rem 700 VSSF and I've journeyed through a lot of powders and bullets with it enjoying each stop.

I settled on a 50g NBT with Varget and couldn't be happier. I hunt in temperature extremes and Varget is a plus also accuracy with that load and gun is such that I would never sell/trade it.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on IMR 3031

Posts: 147 | Location: Green Co.,Wis | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Similar to TEANCUM I shoot a VSSF2 in 22-250 and arrived at almost the same result as he did (and I tried quite a few loads). Varget with a 50 gr poly tipped bullet and WLR primer. The Hornady 50 gr VMAX is the bullet that I'm loading but the Sierra BK and Nosler shoot almost identical. IMR 4064 worked pretty good for me but I couldn't get IMR 4895 to shoot worth a hoot. 55 grain poly tipped bullets flat out would NOT shoot in my rifle but the shorter lead tipped or hollow point types worked just fine. Good luck.

Posts: 103 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 07 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished barrel break in on my new Remington SPS Varmint rifle in 22-250. I was getting 5 shot groups I could cover with a nickle with Winchester 45 grain varmint loads. Right now I am going to use components I have for my .223 and try to get a load that shoots as good.

My first try is going to be 55 grain Nosler SHOTS bullets. Just cheap soft point flat base bullets and also 55 grain Nosler Varmaggedon HPs. First powder to try is going to be CFE 223 next in line will be IMR 4895 and third will be H414. If those combinations do not work I will move to some 45 grain bullets and same three powders.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
35.5 gr of IMR 4895 has shot very well in several 22/250's behind 55gr(1360)Sierra bullets.Around 3,700fps

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had a metering problem with ANY powder using my Belding&Mull measure.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
36gr. of IMR4064 behind any 55gr. bullet.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
I've used all three of those powders at one time or another. With good results. I couldn't get enough 4350 into the case to match velocities with the first three.

oldAnd of course you won't and neither did I. Wink But in the field it did everything I asked it to do and didn't over ware the barrel.Later I bought a drum of 4831 and stuffed that into 22-250 cases.The 50 pound drum in 1965 went for some rediculously low price and with my limited income that meant something. I also was using Barnes' 70 grain bullets on mule deer.Not bad but not always the thing to do. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote