THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Another new guy here, Got a few questions for you.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another new guy here, Got a few questions for you.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi, ive searched a bit around here and was recommended to come here by someone on another forum. After talking with some people i know (and some i dont) about reloading, ive decided to get started to save some cost and ease of getting ammo. I got a .35 rem Marlin 336A from my grandpa(thanks again) and love it so far. the only issue is that ammo is not rediliy available here in my neck of CA.

After looking around i am going with the lee aniversary kit, since im on a somewhat tight budget. The 89.99 w/ book is really enticing.

Anyway, what else do i really need with the kit. I know i need dies, powders, bullets, primers, etc. But what other equipment do i need. Im starting off slow at first, since im only doing the .35 rem, but eventually i would like to load 7mm rem mag for my friend, and 30-06 for myself when i get a rifle. So i dont need to many extra things, just the basics to get me started.

PS. can i change my display name?

Thanks for reading through, here is a pic of a couple of my guns for being such good sports.

Posts: 29 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
P.T,I really like that Marlin.I would like to have a lever action some day.I remember my uncle lending me one on a deer hunting trip.The mechanism operated really smooth.I got no deer just a chipmunk.I think it would be best for you to buy a RCBS rockchuker press,a simple scale,and dies.You don,t need a powder dispenser.I 've been using a plastic spoon for a few years.It goes fast when you get used to it.Find some solid place to bolt that press on to.It doesn't have to be a bench or table.Just anything solid and level.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
P.T., nice rifles & shotgun! I like those .22s.

I am a brand new reloader so not really one to be giving advice but the knowledgeable here can correct me if I lead you astray.

I think calipers are an important safety tool. It's critical to know exactly how long your cases are and C.O.A.L.

Harbor Freight has several models for about $20 and mine seems to be a really good instrument. Learn how to use and properly care for it. I use mine over a table or bench so if dropped it won't hit the floor.

Posts: 157 | Location: South Carolina, USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
P.T. The most important thing you need to do is read the reloading book . This will help with many of your questions . I dont mean to sound rude or anything . this is what i was told when i started to ask questions about reloading . After i read the book i answered alot of my own questions and the guys here helped with the rest . by the way you will need shell holders and a caliper . hope this helps Bob

knowledge is power and you never have enough knowledge

Posts: 116 | Location: N.J. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Get the lee case trimmer and you will not need the calipers. later you can get the correct pilots for the other calibers. works great,Much cheeper

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SHOOTINGTBEAR:
Get the lee case trimmer and you will not need the calipers. later you can get the correct pilots for the other calibers. works great,Much cheeper

You will still need calipers to measure OAL. The Lee case trimmer is great to get consistent case trim length.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lee anniversary kit and it does what I need it to do. It is fairly "No-Frills". I would suggest going to MidwayUSA or someplace locally to compare prices. I think I got mine for $65 or $70. Read the manual and then get a Lyman reloading book and search the powder company's websites for load data. Then pick a powder. It doesn't hurt to have a case tumbler.

I would also get some water-based case lube. Oil-based lube has been rumored to case powder and primer performance issues.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need a case trimmer with deburring tools, Brass tumbler with media, Dial calipers, case lube pad, a Powder trickler, and books. Then after you get all that stuff, you may find that you want:
OAL gauge
bullet comparitor
primer pocket tools
case prep station

That's just the stuff I can think of sitting here in front of this machine. As you go you may find more stuff you want.

Good Luck

Posts: 118 | Location: Lakeville, MN | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
Read ABC's of Reloading and take notes. Get more than one manual and read them all. Shop around for your equipment. Check out sites that sell the stuff new, such as midway, grafs, natchez, etc, then also check out places like ebay and the classifieds here. You can often find equipment for very little, sometimes you may get lucky enough to just pay shipping on something.

Welcome to AR, have fun, and be safe.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah,a good dial calipeand a reloading manual like the Nosler manual.Remember if you delay gain knowledge, buy quality,you'll only have to buy things once.Cost you less expensive if you do some reading before.I think you can't go wrong with the RCBS reloading kit.They got everything you need right there.It should get you far into the game.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Lee Anniversary Kit is a good starter deal! thumb

The Frankford Arsenal (Midway USA) electronic caliper is a good caliper for about $28.

I'd recommend RCBS or Redding dies rather than Lee dies.

For a trimmer..... the Lee case trimmers are great! If they are cutting too short, use some blue Loctite (245) and turn out a bit for extra length.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks everyone. Im going with teh lee kit, plus an extra book from midway (nosler, or abc's of reloading or something like that) And possibly another book when i go to a gunshow next week. Read read read...

Anyway, thanks again everyone, ill post up progresss and questions as they come.

PS. I wanted to change my Display name, but its ok, ill just leave it as it is. thumb

Posts: 29 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well i got it.

Lee aniversary kit w/ master guide
Nosler manual
Dial caliper- Frankford Arsenol

That will do it for now. Next up is dies, and a case trimmer. Im going to look around here and at a gun show next weekend for a hopefully better price, if not, midway will be my stop.

thanks again everyone.

One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
In my experience, gun shows are for guns, not reloading. Every vendor that sells reloading stuff at every show I've been to is way over priced. $24-26 for a can of IMR 4350?? FL die sets in popular calibers going for 25-30 bucks? yeah, right. You can get this stuff much cheaper elsewhere.

Who knows though, the shows where you're at may have cheap prices on equipment/components. Check it out, but don't be suprised if it's more expensive.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote