New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheap .510" bullet for fireforming
 Login/Join

<Mads>
posted
When I'm fireforming .460 wea to .500 A-squares I would like a bit cheaper bullets than the Barnes Solids and softs. Is there any? And if what fireforming load do you use?
I read that some people use pistol powder for fireforming, I my self use mild hunting loads.

Regards

Mads

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Mads,
I get milsurp 50 BMG ball (~647 grains) for about 35 cents per bullet. I seat them over 110 grains of IMR 4350 and have perfect fireforming and an accurate, low pressure target load for punching paper or plinking the hillside a kilometer away. This suits my tastes.

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
RAB

<500 AHR>
posted
RAB,

Where do you get your 647 gr MilSurp ball ammo? At that price I would feed it to my 50 as well.

Thanks,
Todd G

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
Todd E,
This should take you to Hi-Tech Ammunition:

www.iidbs.com/hitech

I looked, and the price was 30 cents per bullet before shipping.

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
RAB

<500 AHR>
posted
Thank you, you're both gentlemen.

Todd E

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
I gotcha all beat. When fireforming 50 AK I use a start load behind a Hornady Great Plains 50 cal muzzle loader bullet. Works great. Cost is cut way down and the vels are so low at start that there is no leading.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote