New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proper Case Procedures
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have discussed this with several of my reloading friends and we all seem to have different opinions on proper case procedures, so I pose these questions; assuming the cases have been fired and still have the spent primers in.

1) Lube,resize, wash, soak in vinegar solution, dry then tumble polish.

2) Wash, dry, soak in vinegar solution, lube resize and then tumble polish

3) Wash, dry, lube resize, tumble polish, soak in vinegar

4) Or something else?

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
<PaulS>
posted
raamw,
Don't use vinegar or any acid on cartridge brass. It removes the zinc from the alloy leaving the copper behind.

Fired cases should be wiped down to clean the outside of any debris (inspect for flaws), the inside of the necks stroked with a brush to clean them, lubed, sized and deprimed, trimmed to size (a step I always do but is not often necessary), tumbled for polishing, wiped down and primer pocket cleared (flash-hole too) and then reloaded.

PaulS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just put them in the case vibrator and then load em. I use Imperial Sizing Die Wax from Le Clear Industries, wipes off with a paper towel. [Big Grin]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1. Tumble
2. Lube
3. Resize
4. Prime
5. Charge
6. Seat
7. Crimp
8. Shoot
9. Go to 1

Note: Do not skip step #4 before charging. [Big Grin]

Note: Occasionally measure case length after step #3 and trim if needed.

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PaulS:
raamw,
Don't use vinegar or any acid on cartridge brass. It removes the zinc from the alloy leaving the copper behind.

Fired cases should be wiped down to clean the outside of any debris (inspect for flaws), the inside of the necks stroked with a brush to clean them, lubed, sized and deprimed, trimmed to size (a step I always do but is not often necessary), tumbled for polishing, wiped down and primer pocket cleared (flash-hole too) and then reloaded.

PaulS

Really? I thought white vinegar was OK?

one of us
posted Hide Post
By using a ground corn cob media that is very fine (doesn't clog flash hole at all), this is my procedure:

Lube
Resize/Decap
Bell mouths if necessary
Tumble
Trim/Chamfer/Deburr if necessary
Prime
Charge
Seat
Shoot

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
This is what I do:

Tumble (can skip if brass is pretty clean)
Lube
Resize
Wipe
Trim (if required)
Uniform primer pockets and debur flash holes (if new brass)
Clean primer pocket (if previously fired brass)
Prep case mouth (chamfer & debur)
Tumble to remove traces of lube and little pieces of brass
Prime
Charge
Stuff a bullet
Fire!

Posts: 3300 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like DesertRam uses the same method as I do. I always clean (Tumble) the brass prior to sizing.

I just do. [Big Grin]

HBL

Posts: 135 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I have washed it seems like the vinegar bath really cleans out the case including the primer pocket. When I said resize I mean the full gambit, resize, trim to lenght and de camfer in and out. It makes alot of sense to resize after cleaning since it should prolong the life of the dies, however tumbling after cleaning has been can lead to case mouth distortions?

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Hellrazor>
posted
Dont tumble more then a few minutes the second time. Also make sure you dont fill your tumbler to capacity for this step, the less cases the less chance of getting a case mouth dinged.

As far as vinegar, i know a lot of ppl use cider vinegar for this step. Suprised Hotdog hasnt chimed in on this step, i think he drinks it too [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post

NOT SO. This is confused with the use of ammonia or any ammonia product which tends to leach the zinc from brass making it brittle.

In several of the NRA publications variously entitled "Handloading" or "Handloader's Guide", dating back as far as 1969 up through 1984, these guides refer to and recommend the use of a vinegar solution of one quart white vinegar and two tablespoons of salt for washing and polishing brass. The use of the solution was verified and approved by Frankford Arsenal. The latter uses a mild solution of citric acid for the same purpose. The recommendation is to put the tarnished or dirty brass in the solution for 20-30 minutes agitating gently periodically, then washing thoroughly in water.

I've used this method for years on heavily tarnished brass with no ill effects. The brass is not quite as brightly polished as in a tumbler and tarnishes a bit more rapidly. I run brass cleaned in this manner for a few minutes in a tumbler to polish a bit more brightly. It works superbly.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote