THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: Anyone used the Hornady .308 cal 130 gr. Spire PT?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Anyone used the Hornady .308 cal 130 gr. Spire PT?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Mark,
That is one of the bullets I use in the 30 Herritt in a TC Contender. It gives me about 2100 fps and its performance on game seems fine.
It ought to work if you load to keep the velocity to 2200 to 2500 fps out of a 308 rifle.
In my Contender, it's a good accurate bullet. The BC has got to be better than a 150gr round nose, though. I've never tried it in my '06 and I don't have a 308, so I can't say for sure about the performance in a rifle.
It is one I would try in a 300 Savage for a "kid load".

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Try Hornady's 150 round nose #3035 ahead of 36 grains of Varget for about 2,300'/sec.....about what a .30-30 would do.

Good to 150 yards and will kill bambi well.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Shooting at game odds are that recoil will not be an issue as the adreline will be flowing.Maybe load up some reduced loads with 30-30 bullets for a little range time with the kid,then use your standard load for hunting.Just explain that the range time is for practice.Yes the rifle will shoot to a different point of impact with different loads but at the range stress the marksmanship involved.Depending on what kind of optics you are using you may or may not decide to change the rifles zero with the different loads.

Posts: 57 | Location: Parker Texas | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I loaded one box of them someone had given me in military brass to fireform brass.I have three different 308s and the 130s gave me roughly 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups out of rifles that all normally shoot 1/2 inch off of sandbags at 100 yards.The bullet is very short compared to a 150-165 grain bullet and I don't think it is really constructed as a deer bullet.Hornady's website should give you reccomended velocities for reliable expansion with this bullet.
Just curious though,Why not a 30-30 or even a 243 for the kiddo?
Howard

Posts: 57 | Location: Parker Texas | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote