New
Find
Notify
Tools

Max oal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hope someone can answer this.I have a Sako 25.06.I am new to reloading and have been trying to wrap my head around seating depth to achieve max accuracy.Lots of advice out there suggesting to seat close to the lands.I have measured various factory loads to the ogive and there seems to be a lot of variation,yet all of them are less than max oal.

In most cases does seating close to the lands mean that you have exceeded max oal?

Is it possible to get close to the lands at a point under max oal?

Posts: 111 | Location: Turner Valley, Alberta | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Further to this.
Will every Sako in the same model and caliber have the same distance to the lands?

Posts: 111 | Location: Turner Valley, Alberta | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by turnerhunter:
Hope someone can answer this.I have a Sako 25.06.I am new to reloading and have been trying to wrap my head around seating depth to achieve max accuracy.Lots of advice out there suggesting to seat close to the lands.I have measured various factory loads to the ogive and there seems to be a lot of variation,yet all of them are less than max oal.

In most cases does seating close to the lands mean that you have exceeded max oal?

Is it possible to get close to the lands at a point under max oal?

Well, this might help you.
You first need to establish "your" rifles length of its throat.
Take a fired case, split the sides so a bullet will slide in and out easily.
Chamber the round in your rifle 4 or 5 times, gingerly, and check and see what the oal of the chambered round is.
This will determine how long your rifle's throat is.
Some rifle's have exceptionally long throats, some not so long.
Now you can know where your bullets max oal is.

Not all bullets need to seated way off the lands. The Barnes X bullets, are more suited to .040 or more off the rifling.They need more "jump".
Sierra Match Kings are more suited closer to the lands.(Typically)

Find your max, back it off .020, or so and start to creep up on your max oal.

I hope I havent confused you..sakofan.. [Smile]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by turnerhunter:
Further to this.
Will every Sako in the same model and caliber have the same distance to the lands?

No..sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm also new to reloading and had the same questions. This link to Dan Newberry's OCW page was very informative on the topic of OAL.
[Wink]
Dan Newberry

Art

Posts: 26 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 28 August 2003Reply With Quote