New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just had a new barrel put on one of my rifles. It is the same caliber as before, but I had it cut with a shorter throat so I could load to the lands easier. I still have quite a bit of loaded ammo from before.

My question is...Can I just press the bullets in to the new seating depth to break in the barrel, or is my pressure going to go through the roof? It is a 257 STW and the new seating depth will be .100 shorter than before.

Thanks
Brad

Posts: 108 | Location: West Fargo, ND | Registered: 16 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad, it all depends on how hot your old loads were loaded.

With sensible loads, seating the bullets 0.100 inches shorter than before should not cause a huge change in pressure.

Having said that, if your old loads were near the top in pressure, you may run into problems.

The first issue will be, will your old loads even fit in your new chamber even after you seat the bullets deeper????? I have had any number of varmint calibers rebarreled and most commonly my old ammo would not even chamber in the new gun, regardless of OAL.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just decided to pull the bullets. $20 worth of bullets isn't worth risking my life.

Posts: 108 | Location: West Fargo, ND | Registered: 16 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from ND:
I just decided to pull the bullets. $20 worth of bullets isn't worth risking my life.

tu2 That is smart & responsible! Good luck with the new barrel.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Yes, with a shorter throat you have a smaller volume in your chamber and your pressures will go up. I had a 338RUM throated so I could reach the lands which is unlike factory 338RUM's which have a long throat. Anyway, I am now loading 4 gr below manual max so I can keep my primer pockets.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from ND:
Hey Brad, There is no reason to "Trash" the Bullets you pulled. They can be used for Fire Forming Cases to the new chamber, Break-In of the new barrel, and they can still be used for Load Development.

Best of luck with the new barrel.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They definitely get trashed when you pull them out with a Channel-lock pliers. I should get a puller, but I've just never needed one until now.

One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
http://www.quineticscorp.com/bullet-puller.asp
These are good. Mine is 25 years old.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote