Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Trim Pro???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,

I have just purchased a second hand RCBS Trim Pro 2 Manual. It has yet to be delivered, but should be with me by Monday.

The guy who sold it me sold it with the 3 way cutter in .22 calibre.

It also comes with the whole range of pilots.

I do not reload any 22 calibres. The question I have is, it seems like the 3 way cutter is calibre specific, the RCBS website has various calibre specific 3 way cutters advertised. Is there any way of changing or modifying the 3 way cutter to be used for other calibres? I reload for 243, 270 and 308. Or is the .22 cal 3 way cutter useless to me?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I am not familiar with this product, the 3 way cutter does not seem that popular in the UK.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Buck

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Your .22 3-way cutter will work on all .22 cf calibers, i.e., Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250 etc. A 308 cutter would work on all 30 calibers, i.e., 30-30, 308, 30-06, 300's etc.

Note: There is no way to modify your 22 cutter for larger caliber sizes. You have the full range of pilots to use with the standard cutter for case length, which you'll need to then perform inside/outside chamfers.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought as much. Typical!! Mad

I still got a good price for the whole set which I have been told also includes all the pilots from 17 up to 45.

I will just sell the .22 Cal 3 way cutter and buy the ones I need.

Thanks for your info.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The 3 way cutter is awesome. I have one in 22 cal for processing 5.56/.223 AR brass.

It is a huge time saver

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
If you're gonna sell the .22 caliber 3-way, I'll likely take it off your hands.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
If you're gonna sell the .22 caliber 3-way, I'll likely take it off your hands.

I am in England. So the shipping costs would more than likely be prohibitive.

What are they likely to be worth? The RCBS website sells them for $65. I am yet to lay my hands on it yet so cannot comment on the condition, but the seller assures me it is as new condition.

Cheers

Buck

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I have the powered version of the RCBS Trim Pro.

It's a bit of a pain, but you can change the caliber of the 3-Way cutters. You just have to change the pilot and then adjust the blade that chamfers the outside of the neck. You don't want the blade that chamfers the outside of the neck right up against the part of the cutter that chamfers the inside of the neck or you will get metal shaveings clogging up the cutter.

I've processed thousands of cases with mine. The 3-Way cutter is a real time saver.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
The trim pro works good if you're doing small quantities, in my opinion. For doing large quantities of brass I like the Dillon trimmer.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
You can change the pilot of your 3-Way Trimmer to what ever caliber you would like, from .17 up to .375. Pilots are available at Graf, Midway, and others ($9.29 at Midway). The pilot needs to be for a 3 Way cutter, not the regular guide pilot. I don't use a 3-Way for straight wall cases because I roll crimp my straight wall cases and most of them are bigger calibers then a 3-Way can do anyway. I just give them a very lite touch up with a deburring tool.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would I be correct to assume this is the pilot required for 6mm.

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConne...07&route=C13J036N024

The next issue will be me finding someone in the uk that sells these!

Cheers

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
That would be it.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One trimmer is about as good as another IMO..I use a Forrester and have had the same one for ions...

For cases that I intend to crimp, I use only file-trim dies so my crimps are always the same on each case..I use them on the 30-30, 25-35, 35 Rem., 38-40, 450-400-3", 470 N.E. In other words on any double rifle and most lever action gun calibers.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seems to me that you need a new rifle so you can use that cutter. Big Grin

Posts: 147 | Location: Green Co.,Wis | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote