New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help. I did something stupid
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In a big hurray a few nights back to load some 25.06 triple shocks in time for a hunt the next morning.Got home late from work and was in a rush.
Cleaned and lube a batch to size and de-prime.Pulled the ram handle and watched the primer drop.Only then I realized that I still had the shell holder from my 7 mm mag in the press.Long and short of it is a stuck case with the pin protruding from the bottom of the cartridge and can not remove the shell from the die.
What do I do next?
Yes I already gave myself the lecture about never reloading unless your head is in the game.

[ 10-22-2003, 21:59: Message edited by: turnerhunter ]

Posts: 111 | Location: Turner Valley, Alberta | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Peter>
posted
You should be able to unscrew the rod that holds the primer punch, then just use a stuck case remover.
peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unscrew the shellholder from the press, exchange the magnum one for the correct holder. Slip it over the stuck case, lower press handle to bring press up to shell holder hole.

Slip the shell holder thru, replace the nut, and pull out the case as usual.
Did the same thing once or twice, and this seems to work just fine.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I thought I was the only one smart enough to do that.....

OK, the case is in the die, and the decapping pin is sticking out. First, you need to raise the pin. Unscrew the decapping /expander ball assembly and pull it up. Just far enough so the decapping pin is above the bottome of the case.

Put the correct shell holder on the ram, but do not snap it in.

Now comes the dexterity part: Move the ram up and align the opening of the shell holder with the case: snap it into the ram, and onto the case, at the same time. Re-install the decapping pin assembly, lift the handle to remove the case.

Curse words are optional...... LOL! Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
dude...

I have a bit of trouble wiggling shell holders back on...

so, if it's not an exotic case, it's...

loosen the capping in, VERY MUCH

tap with a mallet....

out comes case
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote