Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting VLC experience
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted
Finally drug out the chrono to see what these new Barnes VLC's would do in my 6PPC. Well, as expected, the slicker bullets reduced the velocity a little, until I increased the powder. Nothing new there.

The interesting part was when I switched from the VLC bullets to my standard 55 gr. b-tip load. Velocities increased by 100 fps (from 3375 to 3475)! Whatever the VLC coating is, some of it stays in the bore. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Dutch - While the Barnes VLC coating is not moly, it acts much like it. It also fouls like moly making it difficult to completely remove from the bore. Just like moly, it is NOT a good idea to switch back and forth between coated and non-coated bullets without first removing ALL the coating and/or copper. It is easy to trap copper below moly and cause corrosion and accuracy problems.

I would use a little JB bore paste along with Sweets to make sure you are getting back to a clean bore before switching between coated and/or non-coated bullets.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Dutch, What length bbl and what weight bullets? Thanks, Bob

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Zero, too late for the J.B.'s: the Flitz and Butch's already got it.

Bob, 26" shilen, 58 gr. VLC's, and 55 B-tips over H322 in Lapua cases. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post

Dutch - Perfect combination. The more that I use Butch's the more I like it - especially for cleaning my moly bores. It does a much better job of removing lose moly and copper fouling than Kroil/Shooters Choice.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote