New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading accidents
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aw hell Grizz...it ain't a big deal. No need to apologize. FYI: If I was telling you about my last big bass, or my biggest buck from last year, well yeah, might be a slight bit of embellishment, but not in this case. These two guys were in, I guess, their 60's or 70's. I did not pay attention to their form, as I was trying to sight in my Colt Sauer 270 at the time. I was, oh, about in my second year of college...thereabouts. Just saw them come on in, plop down on the bench beside me...you know what I mean....just did not pay them much attention. What did get my attention was the report of the rifle. I swear a dang lightning bolt sounded like it struck the bench...it was horrendously loud...in that millisecond you mind just said "damn, something did not sound right...that was too damn loud!". At that point I turned around and saw what I saw. He was laying back on the ground, face up, blood everywhere, people laying their rifles down on the benches and rushing up to them to see if they could help. His buddy was down by his side, visably upset as you might could imagine. Range officer about to crap, yelling at someone to call EMT's. Never heard a word out of the unlucky man...no moaning, groaning...either was in a coma or whatever right then. The closed the range down, questioning everyone there as to what they saw, questioning his buddy (thats where we overheard him talking about his homemade handloading recipie).

I can still see it. Damn....

Anyway, did I tell you about the big bass I caught last Wednesday? Man she was a whopper.

Take it easy Grizz...

Winggunner: Tighten up boy and best of luck in God's country!

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grizz:
Winggunner, in my mind there's a difference between bullsh*t and lying. BS is embellishment, like the size of the fish grows a little at each telling.

Hank if you say it, I guess I have to accept it. Therefore I appologize for casting doubt on your tale. BUT I sure would like to know what sort of shooting form those gents had, to get the bolt embedded in his forehead!

I saw that very thing happen at a gun club just outside my home town in the late 70's. Seems the guy filled his 03 30-06 with Red dot. It wasn't pretty.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now just to keep the record straight; At least two
people have seen Springfiels 03 bolts strip the lugs and hit the shooter. Is this correct?
Take Care!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jay,
Give us a little more info. Flesh out the story so we can get a mental picture.
Jack

"La vida no vale nada sin El Honor"
Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Hawkins....two.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It happened at the Renton Fish and Game Club. The fellow came in set up his stuff. The range Master Tiny gave the ready on the firing line commence firing. A few shots were fired then a heard one that sounded abnormal. I looked over and there were a couple of guys with him already he was down behind the bench. It had driven the bolt back into his eye. I was about 5 benches over when it happened. They shut the range down immediately.

The King County Sheriff showed up, then some people from the Fire department. They moved us all back out of the area and then took him away. The Sheriff took some statements from us. We heard later that he had died. He was an older fellow about my age now. They had taken all of his gear and rifle to investigate what had happened. The Range Master knew one of the officers and learned from him later about how his shells were loaded.

In subsequent years at this same range I observed two other accidents they where both with handguns. They were S & W model 66’s both of them shattered the cylinders and blew the blackstrap up from the barrel. These accidents happened a few years apart. Neither of these fellows where seriously hurt but needless to say these have all been pretty sobering experiences. They got the loads from a buddy who had miss quoted the load and in both cases they didn’t take the time to check it out.

I guess that’s why I’ve learned to respect loading and will not load anything without a documented load. Plus I always start low and work my loads up.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK,
This was not witnessed by me, but it HAPPENED to my skeet shooting friend. He was an ER Doctor in residency and shot everything. He and his lady, a nurse, both shot Colt Pythons, 6" .357. He reloaded everything from pistol to all four guages of shotguns. He had a portable loading set up so that when he was on duty he could load during off peak time. He lived right across the stree from Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, FL. You know how they keep the guys on duty for WAY TO MANY HOURS. Well I guess thatr was the problem here.
He was at the range shooting light loads in his Colt and he had shot several rounds when the Colt locked up on him. When he looked at the gun it had a bulge in the barrel and there was a bullet lodged between the cylinder and the barrel. He had a light load that did not clear the barrel and he had not noticed that and had fired several more rounds and they lodged behind the first one and there was the problem.
He sent it back to Colt and they put on a new barrel and did not charge him a thing. I don't know what would have happened with any other revolver. I owned a 6" Python my self and It was a beautiful shooter. I have not talked to him in years. He is A high priced cutter and now lives in Scottsdale/Pheonix, AZ. He could be a member for all I know so your guys that live in AZ might know him and can get the straight skinny direct from him. No BS here.'
Jack

"La vida no vale nada sin El Honor"
Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote