THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Starting load for IMR 4198 reduced velocity in .30-06

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starting load for IMR 4198 reduced velocity in .30-06
 Login/Join

posted
Hi Everyone,

Looking to try this powder for a reduced recoil load in .30-06 behind a 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.

From what I have found on other threads, 36 grains was used in the remington managed recoil loads under their 125 gr corelokt bullet.

Wondering what range I should stay within for loads. Looking to keep the bullet around 2500 fps or so.

I've played with blue dot a bit and like it, although it seemed to be a little more erratic in accuracy at warmer temps. Could get it into a 2" radius at 100 yds, which will get the job done, but in colder temps (around 30 degrees) I had 3-shot groups fit under a quarter at 100 yds.

with IMR 4198 should I start 10% below as is suggested with many powders?

Thanks

Steve

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornThis sounds like a job for about 30 grains of SR4759, perhaps a little more. Should be a good start in working it up. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VMS, 39-40 grains is about max for that combo of powder and bullet. Somewhere between 34 and 37 grains should give 2500 fps, depending on your rifle and bullet seating depth. A chronograph would be really helpful if you can use one.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
have loaded 30 grains of 4198 for my son's 06 since he was 12 with the 125 grain ballistic tip..

when he turned 16 I moved him from a 125 gr BTIP to a 150 grain BTP...

took an elk in Montana with a single shot at 175 yds broadside with a 165 grain BTIP and a charge of 30 grains of 4198....

the 650 lb cow ran about 50 yds and crashed and burned...

bullet destroyed both lungs and the top half of the liver and cut the esophagus in half....

Montana F & W stated it was 650 lbs on the hoof and was a very healthy 11 yr old cow...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hiya,

What was the accuracy of the 30 gr of 4198? Any temperature sensitive fluctuations? I would assume recoil would be similar to that of the blue dot at that load....

What kind of speed did that 125 gr bullet have?

Thanks

Steve

Steve