Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Rem Mag vs. 6.5-284
 Login/Join

posted
I'm about to build a new rifle and love the 6.5mm round. I had made my mind up on the 6.5-284 until I read some data on the 6.5 RM. This will be an all purpose hunting rifle/pistol (it's going to be a T/C Encore) and I wanted some input both good and bad for each caliber. One downside I have read lately on the 6.5RM is that with heavier bullets (140 and above) that due to the short case and neck, that you will lose a good amount of powder capacity. I want to be able to load heavier rounds in this gun so that is a factor that I have to consider.

Please give me some input.

Thanks,
Mike

Posts: 2 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The mag will give you about 5-6 grains more capacity. So a few fps more. It is not really a neck and bullet length issue as much as a bullet length and normal chamber issue. The Chamber length is set up for the various shorter actions. Since you are going with the single shot that isn't an issue. Decide on the bullet you are going to use. Set it to bottom at the base of the neck. Then throat the barrel accordingly. If it were me I'd go 6.5-284.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Mike, I'm a very happy 6.5/284 shooter and would strongly recomend this choice. The Brass quality is real good and the efficency is wonderful. I shoot 142 Sierra's at 3030 ft/sec's out of a 28" Hart HB. Accuracy is beyond my abilities to totally utlize! Pdogs at 1250 yards have been my best, and feel if I was half the shooter I think I am, well further would be possible. The bottom line is that for an encore I would suggest either the 6.5/284 or the 6.5-06. What ever you do you will learn to love this caliber.
Good shooting
Dave

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Unless the bbl. is going to be on the long side, I think you might be happier w/ a plain old .260. The extra powder will give you little vel. gain in a 14" bbl. If you are going 24" rifle bbl. I would go w/ the 6.5x.284. In a single shot you can load the bullets out & use all of the available powder space. You will also have a better selection of 6.5x.284 brass, Norma, Hornady, Lapua, etc.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys. For the record, I already have a 700 Rem mountain rifle and a Encore pistol in .260 Rem. To date, this is my favorite cartridge. I want to build a custom Encore rifle (and possibly pistol as well) chambered in another 6.5mm caliber. The rifle will have a 26" heavy bull barrel and my Encore pistols have 15" Heavy barrels. I had originally decided to go with the 6.5-284 but after reading some positive load data on the 6.5 Rem Mag I was undecided.

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

This is what I am wanting to build in my Encore rifle>

Posts: 2 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the 6.5mm version, but I have a 6mm/284 with 26" barrel, and it is every bit the ballistic equal of the .240 Weatherby Magnum. In addition to which, it has the ADVANTAGE of a beltless case......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I still think 6.5x.284 just for the availability of good brass. 6.5RM is only made by RP I beleive & not widely available.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the 6.5 RemMag case was better you wouldn't of seen the 6.5x284 in the 1000 yd game. The 142grSMK has help also and thats what I shoot in mine. I just like the 284 case plus I shoot a 6x284. If I was going to do lighter bullet than 140gr I'd look at another case. Well good luck.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5/284 sounds (and looks) very desirable. I shoot a 6/284 and a 284...the latter in an Encore.
While I enjoy it, extraction can be a hassle, when the load is a bit hot. As you no doubt know the 284 is a rebated rim. The TC action works best with a rimmed case;least best with rebated case or a belted cases. That's because the spring loaded extractor has to drop down over the case or belt to wind up in the groove. The extractor spring that allows it to do so can't be very stiff or the extractor will catch on and/or scratch the case or belt. As a result it provides less camming power if the case is a bit over-expanded from a load on the hot side.
I'm not saying don't do it, I am saying that you will definitely have to keep pressure well within max to avoid problems.
On the bright side the Encore will cost you less than a comperable custom round, esp if you already have the frame. It only cost me $260 to scratch my 284 itch...the price of a 24" stainess barrel. The rest was part of a Honet I already had.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote