New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to relaoding -need help w/.357 Rem Max
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi, I'm new to the site. Seems great. I have a .357 Mag revolver 8 3/8" & a single shot .357 Rem Max. 14". I'm looking for recipes for loads that will use 158 & 180 gr jacketed bullets in each. I'd like to keep the powders the same if possible to keep my components inventory down. Would I be able to use the same primers in both? If responding, I probably will need a bit more detail as I'm new to reloading. Will SP & HP bullets of the same grain react the same? Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to get off on the rught foot.Thanks for your help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This isn't intended to be a smartass answer to your questions, but from the sound of them the first thing you need to do is get some reloading manuals and do some reading. A good manual will answer your questions more completely than we can go into online. Most of the powder manufacturers have at least some basic manual online, but they are not as in-depth as the manuals they sell. If you can't afford manuals you might be able to borrow some and do some reading before making any decisions.

There are loads listed for both rounds using the same powder but whether you will get the best performance out of either weapon with the same powder is something that only experimentation will tell.

Nosler lists different primers for the two rounds (small rifle for the Max. and small pistol mags for the Magnum)

Hornady pretty much recommends the same loads for HP and SP bullets of the same grain weight. But again only shooting will determine the best load for a particular bullet.

I know this may not be much help, but it sounds like you need to do a little preparation before you start dumping powder and seating bullets.

Dennis

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Hello Tyeoneon,welcome to the madness.
You will get alot of useful information from reloading manuals.Sellin'em cheap on ebay.
The guys here will help you also.More knowledge here then most other websites.
Stick with magnum primers with both cartridges.
Like Dennis suggested, read up!
This is the only other free site I use for reloading info...http://www.reloadersnest.com/

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just started reloading metallic about a year and half ago. Good advice from Dennis on the manuals. Get different manuals read them, understand them, follow only loads in the book, start at the starting load and work up. Learn to inspec the casings. NO short cuts, reloading is very serious business. TAKE your time.

Good Luck,

"aim small, miss small" Benjamin Martin

Posts: 90 | Location: EastTN | Registered: 21 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also welcome to AR, I think is one of the best sites on the WEB.

"aim small, miss small" Benjamin Martin

Posts: 90 | Location: EastTN | Registered: 21 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry I forgot my manners - welcome to the site

Dennis

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Hogdon Lil' Gun is a great powder for the mentioned cartridges and bullet weights. Good velocity at low pressures.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Mann
posted Hide Post
As far as keeping your component inventory down. That may turn out to be a short term option. Over the years I have amassed a huge suply of bullets, cases and tools. I do like to keep my powder and primers "fresh". It seems the longer I handload the more crap I accumulate. It's not that I don't think you are capable of acomplishing this daunting task. It's just that once the bug bites you may find yourself drawn deeper into the hobbie. Myself and others I've known who handload tend to want to experiment with other loads and eventually other cartridges. I have found a great deal of enjoyment in handloading and I truly wish you the same.

Posts: 29 | Location: South.....way south | Registered: 22 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the site and no doubt you will learn as much or as little as you want about reloading here.
You will definitely want to read very carefully any info you can regarding loading for .357 max/mag...I can assure you they are not the same bird.
A couple of tidbits for reference....first you can load both with the same set of dies adjusted accordingly. They DO NOT use the same primers - max = small rifle primers (I like CCI BR-4) mag = small pistol magnum primers. Yes you can use the same bullets but you can use longer semi-spitzer or more pointed bullets in your Contender....ie Hornady 180 gr. SSP to extender your range a bit in your Contender. These will no doubt NOT fit in your revolver as the cylinder will limit the OAL of your loaded rounds. As far as 'reacting' the same consider this - in your revolver a good load behind a 158 gr. jacketed bullet will get around 1300 fps maybe a bit more. In the closed breech of your Contender a .357 max with the same bullet may be over 2000-2100 fps. Obviously they will not 'react' the same. There are some powders that will work well for both and you will discover that but first read up on all the basics of handloading and then reference as much about both chamberings as you can find. Most all of my loading books info. on the max and all have it for the mag.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use H110 in my 357 max and get 2150 with a 158gr sp out of my 14inch contender. My daughter has use to take 16 deer with It I have shot several more with it. works well.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words of welcome. I have read several manuals about reloading, been to almost all the powder sites and several bullet sites. Still a confusing world I'm entering. Since I've posted my research has lead me to lean towards 296, H110 or H4227. Any preference as to which of these I should start with for both guns? Also, is there a best must have "first" reloader manual?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh P Dog & Reloader thanks for the advice on powder. I'm glad I was leaning towards H110 and see P Dog likes it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me again, a little more info. My max is a Lone Eagle and my mag is a Smith.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the manuals commercially available are fine. If you haven't settled on a bullet brand and powder type, you might look at the Lyman (just my opinion). It incorporates loads for bullets and powder from several manufacturers (it also has a section specifically for guns like Contenders, XP100's and Lone Eagles).

Dennis