140 Accubonds in 270 WSM
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
Any field reports on game (elk, deer)? Any loads? TIA

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are quite a few people that are going to be using AB's this year, so reports should be coming in soon now that the season is here or near. I'll be using 160 AB's for speed goat on Oct 9th in a 7RM. Unless there is some major problem will probably use the same load for both mulie and elk.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Took one buck at about 60 yrd with last year with a .270 and a 140 AB. Worked perfect. Nice hole cored thru, very little collateral damage. Going to use them in my .308 this year also.

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I load up 140gr Accubonds over top of 71gr of Retumbo in my 270WSM, groups well. Haven't used it on any game yet

Posts: 8 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 26 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
POP, I've shot a lot of deer with the 140 gr AB's in .270 both Win and WSM. My results have been absolutely great. I have used both my handloads and the Win Supreme with the coated CT version of the AB. I am fortunate to be able to hunt some farms that have depridation permits, so I shoot more deer than many folks. I have harvested over 40 animals now with the AB's. These include a couple of really large mulies also. I have had complete penetration in every case, on 8 or 9 of these deer, including both mule deer, the shot took out both shoulders. Every deer I have shot has hardly moved, other than to drop to the ground.

I have also shot a couple of really large Russian boars, and they ran a short bit, but dead right quick, complete penetration on both of these as well. Accuracy has been great for me in the 270 cal., It is here and there in .308--In another thread around here I mentioned an article in Handloader that stated that the long AB (the longest bullet Nosler makes) really worked better with a faster twist barrel than is the norm in 300 mag. Having said that, I have had no problems at all in .270--great accuracy and consistency.

All in all I like them very well!

Good luck--
Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey Fish, since you have taken so many deer with the accubonds, and know what they can do, would you use this load for moose hunting? I was contemplating using 140's in my 270 for moose.

Posts: 29 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 18 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ranger66, Moose and whitetail are two different beasts for sure. I have not shot a moose before. I have seen/been with folks for three shot with firearms, and 2 of these were in fact .270's. One moose just stood there for a minute (probably really 15 seconds) and went down once and for all. The other moose actually came towards us about 40 yards (shot at about 120 yards) and flopped over. the other moose I was in attendance when shot, was with a 300 Win Mag with 168 gr. NP. Moose ran about 50 yards at the crack of the rifle and piled up.

I give you all this feedback to say that I have seen Moose killed quite effictively with .270's-- both were 150 grain bullets. So I feel like the AB's at 140 would do the trick with good shot placement, but I think it is a little undergunned for Moose to be honest. If you are confident with your 270 rig, and will wait for optimum shot placement, I wouldn't be scared to use that combo. I would not take a raking or quartering shot, but I typically don't anyway. If I had another rig, like a 300 Win Mag, or something with a bit more juice as an option, and Moose was the main dish, I'd tote that.

I just remembered, a good bud of mine shot a big moose last year in Canada with his 270 WSM and the 150 NBT's, said the Moose just folded up--shot at about 125 yards. I guess that all told, that is 3 good examples of smoked Moose with the .270 cal, and with bullets that I feel the AB will perform as good or better than.

I will say that the the two mule deer I shot were big and I got the shoulders on them, and the performance was devastating. I feel you need to be certain of staying away from the shoulder of a Moose, but I would not be surprised to get through one shoulder and still have a kill.

The short answer to your question is yes, I would, but I have some other rigs that I would take instead if Moose was the sole quarry.

I have read of many who post here who have stated success with the .270 on Moose, but in those threads, they are often admonished that the .270 is minimum gun for Moose.

Sorry for the rambling reply, just wanted to give you the best info I can.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Lee Tifft
posted Hide Post
Just returned from a Caribou hunt with Cantafio's outfit using a 7X57 AI and 140 gr AB's loaded to about 2900 fps. I killed two Bulls. One at 280 yds and the second and 310 yds measured by a range finder. One was hit high in the shoulder and the other lower in the shoulder. Both shots were through and through, breaking bones, and caused more internal damage then I expected at that range. So far so good!! This was the first time I have used AB's on game, but the expansion seems more comtroled then Nosler BT's

Posts: 20 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With Quote