New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal Brass????
 Login/Join

<hunting1>
posted
Does anyone use Federal brass? How does it compare to Winchester for case capacity? I have some, but most of my data is for Winchester brass. [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post

[ 06-04-2002, 01:54: Message edited by: Bob338 ]

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Like most domestic brass, it varies by lot and by caliber. It's generally regarded as the best of the domestic stuff in terms of uniformity. I've found it to be a bit softer than both R-P and WW. It's also the most expenive of the domestic brass.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found the Fed brass to be very close to the Win in case capacity but it is definitly softer than Win. A max load in Win cases that can be loaded 6+ times loosened primer pockets in Fed cases after 2 firings.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
I understand that Federal has stopped selling brass to the general public. There may still be some stock on the shelves, but according to what I've read, that's it--no more...

So I wouldn't develop a load based on the Federal brass unless I had a good supply on hand. Soon, like Hornady (Frontier) brass, the only way you'll be able to get Federal brass is to purchase and shoot up some of their factory ammo.

Federal cases seem to have enlarged primer pockets, and this problem gets worse as the cases are reloaded more. You'll notice that, especially with an un-chromed primer like the WLR's or the Remingtons, primers almost fall into the pocket.

I think I'd stick with Winchester brass. I've tried it all--even some Lapua in my .308, and I've found none better than the Winchester stuff.

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some once-fired 30.06,heavier and very,very consistant.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I have been using Federal brass in .22-250, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .45ACP and 9mm since the early 1960's and have had no complaint about it.

[ 06-17-2002, 03:29: Message edited by: ricciardelli ]

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Federal brass for years. I noticed that it disappeared from my favorite relading supply stores. I E-mailed Federal and got a reply. I was told the only way to get Federal brass was to buy loaded ammo. I E-mailed back that since that was the case, I would be switching brands.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote