New
Find
Notify
Tools

from barnes to swift
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
O.K. now we go from Barnes to Swift.What are your experiences with the A-frames and Scirracco's.Sorry about the comparism ,but I belive I can get better accuracy than I am getting with Nosler Partitions.I may be wrong,but I believe that I should be able to handload better than factory loads.Some people are happy with 1.5" groups,but not me , if a factory loads will do that,why reload?

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
SLL,

I use Swift A-Frames in my .30-06 and .375H&H rifles. They shoot very well in my rifles. Accuracy is usually MOA or better.

I don't worry too much about accuracy when using super-premiums. The reason I use them is to ensure controlled-expansion and deep penetration.

Sub-MOA accuracy is nice to have, but certainly secondary in this case.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I posted two .615 3-shot groups the other day with my 375 H&H Winchester using 66.5g
IMR 4064 and 300 gr Swift A-Frames.

I haven't been as lucky with my Ruger M77
416 Rigby and the A-Frames. Best I have gotten was 1.071 but most are around
1 1/2 - 2". However this is early in development.

------------------
RC

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried both the 300gr Swift A-Frame and the 300gr Nosler Partition in my Lazzeroi HellCat and could get slightly better accuracy and about 25 fps more velocity out of the A-Frame. Both easily put 3 full-power loads into less than an inch. I chose the Partition because I could shoot more of them before the accuracy began to suffer from copper fouling and on a 15-day safari I consider that reason enough.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
I have had pretty good luck with the Swift Aframe, on average I would say they shoot as well or better then Nosler Partitions in my experince.

One hole groups in my 7mag and 3006 are not uncommon with them, as for thier performance on game, I have not found out yet.

<phurley>
posted
I have just recently started shooting the Swift A-Frames and I am impressed with their toughness and accuracy. I am shooting them only through my .340 Wby and .358 STA. I really like the way they perform in my bullet tests. They seem to have a little more weight behind the partition and that rear portion will migrate forward a fraction forming a ball behind the partition and creating a wound channel to behold. When I am preparing a hunting round I will shoot the Barnes X or XLC, the Nosler Partition or Partition Gold, or the Swift A-Frame and determine which my barrel likes and settle on that bullet. Yes, this takes a lot of shooting, and that is what I like to do. I also like the flat point on the Swift A-Frame if I am having trouble with length in my magazine. Good Shooting.

------------------

posted Hide Post
BTW,
You guys who haven't used Swifts on game yet are going to be VERY pleased with their performance.

The .375/300 grain bullets open up on jackals, and penetrate lengthwise through eland. They will punch great big holes through leopards and buffalo. When recovered, they will be worth saving as mementos of your hunt (beautifully mushroomed).

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote