New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neckturning question???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a question regarding neckturning Lapua 6.5X284 brass. I am useing a K&M neckturning equipment and need to turn my necks for a .290 neck. Do you guys full length size first, then run it through the expander mandrel and then turn; or do you just run it through the expander mandrel and then turn? I appreciate your opinions and input. Thanks in advance.

Lonnie

Posts: 37 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I full length size, trim, burr, then run over the expander mandrel with the case neck prior to turning.

It is necessary to "iron" out any dings in the case necks, as well as uniform the interior and exterior diameters to ensure proper expansion by K&M's expander.

Since the turner references the cut distance to the shoulder by the case mouth, it is necessary to size to put all the shoulders in the same place relative to each other, as well as trim to uniform lengths prior to turning.

Good luck,
Ed

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eshell.
Your procrdure is the corect one. I do one more first step. I polish the inside necks with #0000
Steel hair wrapped around a bronze brush chucked in an electric drill. Your pilot will run much cooler and it removes the scales on new brass.
Fred M.

[ 11-12-2003, 00:07: Message edited by: ZERMEL ]

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZERMEL:
I do one more first step. I polish the inside necks with #0000 Steel hair wrapped around a bronze brush chucked in an electric drill. Your pilot will run much cooler and it removes the scales on new brass.
Fred M.

Thanks Fred, I think I'll try this, my pilot does get warm fairly quickly.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote