New
Find
Notify
Tools

.416 remington?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am thinking of rebarreling my interarms .375 to .416 remington. Any pro's and con's of this conversion? I live and hunt here in alaska, i know the .375 is big enough but bigger is better , right?

Posts: 308 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great conversion [Big Grin] To me, the 416 provides the perfect balance of more gun then a 375, yet still being just as shootable. Load a 350 gr @ 2500 fps, you'll have recoil no more objectional then the 375, and trajectory more then flat enough for moose and bears, oh and a large hole all the way through.

When I get my 458 lott finished, my hunting load will be 350 gr @ 2400-2500 fps.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Greg,
I have one and I love it.. but brass is getting harder to come by. Midway is down to their last couple boxes, and no backorders are being taken, for remington brass. Might be able to size and fireform your 375's, though.

It's an easy conversion, just rebarrel and reblue

If the barrel's in decent condition you can sell for 50-75 bucks to boot
jeffe

Posts: 39562 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
It's a great caliber, as is the 375 though. Recoil is higher, but not too bad as long as you stick to lighter bullets, 350 grs. or less. It sure whacks moose good, and the cheap(relativly) Speer 350 gr. Mag-Tip is one good bullet. Complete penetration through off shoulder of a moose at 125 yards, muzzle velocity is 2533 fps.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
quote:
Might be able to size and fireform your 375's, though.
Or, follow Remington's original lead and neck 8 RMag brass up (quick, before they quit making that, too), if you have no other options.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Cobalt>
posted
All my .416Mag was made from 8mmMag back in the late 80's. Couldn't get real .416 back then. I loaded up last year when Midway had it on special. Cobalt

<'Trapper'>
posted
Go buy the current (Dec) issue of Rifle's "Reloader" magazine. Excellent article on loading the various 416's. Compares and contrast the 416 Rem, 416 Rigby and the 416 Weatjerby Mag. Also gives load data for each.
"Shoot straight, shoot safe and shoot a lot!"
Regards,

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get all the brass you want from MAST technologies.

Posts: 1520 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
HEY GUYS

Just found some, and ordered a batch from Graf & Sons. The lady there said they have 3,700 left, but, they're not showing it as being discontinued. Might want to go there http://www.grafs.com/ and grab some.

Trapper's right, that's an excellent article.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I have been getting Remington Peters 416 Brass from www.armsandammo.com.

Jim

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Anyone loading the 370 gr North Fork bullets? Where would you start - use the mimimum loads for the 350's and work up or start with minimums for 400?

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll like the 416, I killed a couple moose so far with my Ruger and they do DROP. I believe the little extra diameter makes a big difference on them. My brother's building his 375 M70 into a 470 Capstick, 375 case and 475 caliber. Should see the 500gr Barnes XLC's for it. [Eek!] [Eek!] . Pretty impressive round too, I was surprized.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
ANTLERS -- I am loading the 370 gr. North Fork .416 bullet, it is very accurate. I have loaded from 76 grains of RL-15 up to 82 grains. Just going from memory, my last batch was 78 grains RL-15, Fed 215M primer. They chronographed at 2460 fps. or thereabouts. My best group was a cat hair away from a one holer. Try them, I hope they are as accurate for you as they are for me. [Wink] Good shooting.

[ 11-29-2002, 18:05: Message edited by: phurley ]

<eldeguello>
posted
The .416 Rem. operates at pressures quite a bit higher than such British African calibers as the .416 Rigby, etc., which could be a disadvantage in hot climates. But in Alaska, it should be great. For them thar big b'ars, it would no doubt be better than the .375!! [Big Grin]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eldeguello:
The .416 Rem. operates at pressures quite a bit higher than such British African calibers as the .416 Rigby, etc., which could be a disadvantage in hot climates. But in Alaska, it should be great. For them thar big b'ars, it would no doubt be better than the .375!! [Big Grin]

It runs, more less, at the same pressure as the vaulted 375 HH and 458 lott...
I posted a rather long note on this factoid...
The only "low" pressure bolt gun rounds are 416 rigby, 404 rigby, 500 jeffery, 505 gibbs 450 rigby... I am drawing the line at under 50k here.

jeffe

Posts: 39562 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
PHURLEY - thanks for the input. My 416 is supposed to be finished by Feb and I'm collecting components as we speak. I will order the 370 gr North Forks next week and will let you know how they do when I get the rifle up and running.

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote