THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any truth to this about nickel plated brass?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
I do not remember where I read it or who wrote it but about 2-3 years ago I remember a warning about why NOT to use nickel plated brass while reloading.

Seems like the author presented evidence on how some micro shavings of the nickel will cause harm to the throat and barrel due to its hardness.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I have not used nickel brass ever since I read it, but I never used much anyway.

The article may have been more concerned with using it in a custom barrel too, which may have been what sparked my interest in the first place.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
The only pretty silver brass I have ever used was in .357 Magnum and .45ACP.

It did not cause any problem to the firearms, but it sure raised hell with the dies!

The only reason I still use nickle brass is for those cartridges which are carried in a leather holster or cartridge carrier. They don't corrode and turn green like brass does...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
every reloading and ammo forum is chucked full of opinions about nickel brass.....they seem to be divided into two camps....one that says they have no problems at all and one that thinks the stuff is the worst thing the Yugo...

I'm among the group that likes the stuff but the truth is terribly muddied with many varying opinions.....some based in fact and some based in emotion and some based in other things.....

to each his own on this subject.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

You could always start here to find the answers, then ask RCBS, Lee, etc. This site has some information on the subject:

Redding: Scratches cases or dies

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I am and have been reloading about 100 Remington nickle plated .375 H&H cases. I have had no problems.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been loading and reloading 100 Rem Ni plated 7mm-08 cases for nearly 15 years. I've lost about 60 cases due to necks splitting between 7 to 10 reloadings. I've had no problems with flaking, nor with the Redding FL die set nor with the rifle chamber. I have yet to try to anneal the necks. I've started loading Federal Ni plated -06 and 7mm RM cases, still no troubles. Knock on wood.

Posts: 134 | Location: So CA | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

THey will scratch the die. The only reason I can see for them is when used in a cartridge belt, or for ease of finding them in the grass. Both applications use straight
cases, buy a carbide die.
Good luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Crimp_me
posted Hide Post
I always use Nickle, never had any problems. My dies are not scratched and no damage to firearms. I due tumble and polish the brass before reloading. Follow safe reloading guide lines and you will just fine.

Posts: 83 | Location: Lapeer, MI | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote