New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 18.5 inch barrel mod 70 30-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
18 1/2" barrel? Wow, unless your rifle weighs about 10 lbs. it must be a beast to shoot. I have a Browing Micro-medallion in .308Win. It has a short, thin 20" barrel. The rifle only weighs 6.0 lbs. It used to be a pretty little rascal. Now the forend looks like I used it for fungo practice from jumping completely out of the cradle so often. A Pachmyer Decelerator helped a little. Your rifle surely kicks more than mine. You must be a real hunk of a guy. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
had it cut down for ease of handling in northeast texas deer stand. most shots under 150 yd. had it ported at same time. hardly any kick-but loud! tack driver with 125 gr factory load. had trigger adjusted also. rifle looks funny but shoots nice. also has packmeyer? butt pad.

Posts: 7 | Location: murphy north carolina | Registered: 19 December 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Shorter barrels just means use faster powders.

Seafire and I agree on most everything, and I know he has a prediliction for fast powders. But this is one area in which he is wrong. Any load which gives maximum velocities with a given bullet weight in a given cartridge will do so in any barrel length you choose, whether the powder used is a fast one or a slow one. For example, let's say we have developed a load using H4831 that produces 2700 FPS in a 24" barrelled .30/'06 with a 200 grain Nosler Partiton bullet. This load is max., and we have not been able to get that much velocity out that bullet in that gun with any other powder. If we cut that bvarrel back to 18.5", that 4831 load will still give the max. possible velocities with that bullet. We lose about 25 feet per second for each inch we cut off the barrel, and going to a faster powder will NOT allow us to achieve a muzzle velocity equal to the one this load will give. However, if we use a faster powder, more of the total charge may burn before the bullet exits the muzzle, causing less muzzle blast and flash than we get with the slower powder.

Now, if we use a lighter bullet, say a 130 grainer, we may have to go to a faster powder to get max. velocities from our gun with whatever barrel length it has. Perhaps this is what Seafire is referring to.

Perhaps his statement should have read "Lighter bullets just means use faster powders."

You will find that bullets under 150 grains are plenty adequate for deer in .30 caliber rifles, but try to use ones that are made a little tougher than pure varmint bullets. Otherwise, you MUST avoid shots that will hit heavy bones.

BTW, IMR 4064 is an excellent .30/'06 powder. I use 47 grains of it with the Sierra 168-grain matchking in my M1 for target shooting, and switch to the Sierra or Nosler Partition 165-grain bullet with the same powder charge for a ,30/'06 hunting load. You could use the same load for deer hunting with an 18.5" barrel.

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
eldeguello:

Quote:

Any load which gives maximum velocities with a given bullet weight in a given cartridge will do so in any barrel length you choose, whether the powder used is a fast one or a slow one.

Agreed.....at least for the normal 18-26" lengths.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks for all the responses. nice to see a forum of people who enjoy the same things and don't snipe at each other too seriously! merry christmas. joe

Posts: 7 | Location: murphy north carolina | Registered: 19 December 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Joe,
did you have him mount the scope out front too?

infact, I would tell you 180s and 220s would suffer the least

doing quickload, right now, so we'll see if i am right

200gr, 23.5" barrel, 2570
18.5" barrel... 2450

150 23.5 " 2965
18.5" 2775

120 23.5" 3150
18.5" 2994

But, your GS is 1/2 full of it...

whatever load you sight it in for is what it's sighted in for... the rest, well, is a little bit iffy...

myself, I would load 180s near 2500 and slay anything in the woods

jeffe

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
before the changes the scope was too far fwd when adjusted all the way back. i had him cut 3" off and add pachmyer 1" butt pad. i use an old redfield 3x9 and with a med coat on and with the scope adjusted its perfect. shot nice 5 pt and a big doe using win 125 gr factory load at about 80 yds. they dropped in their tracks. hunt just west of marshall tx. hunt from elevated box stand and rifle is now ideal. wanted short barreled ruger but these mods were half the cost.