New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 Win + RL26 Powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For some months I have been reading of the high performance that RL26 has in various calibers. I have tried it in 7mm RM and 300 WM with good success. Today I finally clocked in in my old Rem 700 270 with 24 inch barrel.

I started out at 55 grains of said powder and a 150 grain Partition and worked up to what Alliant calls maximum 60.8 grains. For sure pressure were high but there wasn't any indications such as hard bolt opening or smears from the ejector hole. Upon checking bullet speed I was very much amazed. The 5 shot average was 3140 FPS. I should not have been surprised because this is very much in line with the reports that I have been reading.
The only thing bad is this powder is very difficult to find right now.

Regards, Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised with these results.

Usually, a "new" powder will create a bit of improvement over older types, maybe 25 - 50 fps; but, 3140 fps for a 150 gr bullet from a 270 with a 24" barrel is much more than what I would expect.

Hence, I'm a skeptic and IMO, you're running quiet HOT.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
HOT.

Something is giving you a buzz. That is 120fps more than alliant claims. If your cases hold up and it is repeatable. Congrats.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was very much surprised but there are lots of reports that are like mine. Remember the old Norma 205? It did the same thing in different calibers. I remember an article that Bob Hagel wrote about the 30/06 in Handloader Magazine in the early 1970s I think. Norma 205 was much ahead of everything else.

I really don't know much about this new powder yet just keeping my mind open trying to learn.

Regards

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
I have been considering grabbing some RL 26 for my 7RM. what bullets were you shooting and how were those velocities? I will be shooting 160gr accubonds. currently i have a mild load of H1000 that is shooting really small groups, so its difficult to change. but i'm open to it if i can keep small groups and up my velocity a couple hundred fps. right now i'm around 2860 fps.

Posts: 783 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JB on 24 hr campfire ran some tests with R26 and his results were exacly the same as the ones obove...in fact there are one or two post on R26/270/150 PARTITION and a number of posters were duplicating these velocities

Daniel

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to the discussion on 24hourcampfire. Lots of good info on RL-26 with 150 Gr. bullets in the 270 Win.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com...hp/topics/12124524/1

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duplicating high velocities isn't that hard, if you're willing to run PSI over 65,000.

How hot you're willing to go is a matter of how much case life you desire and how much risk you're willing to take in having a blown primer or getting a stuck case.

Most modern first-rate bolt-action rifles will tolerate high pressures, even up to 150,000 psi.

With accurate range finders readily available, there is no need for pushing the envelope and risking an excursion.

Putting the bullet accurately into the boiler room is most important in killing power; and, for long-range shooting, accuracy, bullet choice, and velocity consistency are most important - not hyper velocities.

Reloading past 65,000 psi will not increase your effectiveness in the field. It's not worth the risks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot 6 of the above loads off the bench today checking for accuracy. First group went into a 3 shot triangle of 3/4 inch. Second group was an honest 7/8 inch which is good enough for hunting.
What was very different was recoil. With the increased velocity the rifle felt more like a 30/06 than a 270.

Regards, Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get the same results with 4831, or Rl22, at about the same charge.
Been doing it for 30yrs.
150 Nosler, or Sierra @ 3150fps

There is nothing magical about Rl23/26.
They work, but there is no free fps with any powder. Just repackaged, maybe a different coating, and sold as a different powder.
Yes, I have them all, and have shot them all, not enough difference to write home about.

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
Duplicating high velocities isn't that hard, if you're willing to run PSI over 65,000.

fwiw & imho,
I dunno if I would paint John Barsness with that brush. He is the one who brought this up and is a fairly adept Handloader...

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to see a plotting of the pressure to location of bullet in the bore. If the duration of the pressure is sufficient the peak does not have to be excessive. thus someone can get an increase in velocity while not exceeding the desired pressure.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keith1:
I shot 6 of the above loads off the bench today checking for accuracy. First group went into a 3 shot triangle of 3/4 inch. Second group was an honest 7/8 inch which is good enough for hunting.
What was very different was recoil. With the increased velocity the rifle felt more like a 30/06 than a 270.

Regards, Keith

Heck for 98 percent of hunting 2 inches is good enough.

We have become use to sub one inch rifles it wasn't long ago that they were considered a miracle.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote