Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted
H-4350 From 44.0 grains to 49.0 grains
Remington 9-1/2 Primer

IMR-4350 From 45.0 grains to 51.6 grains
Remington 9-1/2 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I decided to put together some 308 loads for the first time tonight. I am loading for a winchester 88. I was using a 150 grn nosler ballistic tip. I looked at a couple manuels and decided on 51 grains of h4350 to start out with. I set the scales and poured this into the case, I looked and it darn near filled the thing up and after seating the bullet it made a compressed load. I was wondering if there is any possilbility this could be too hot a load?? I looked at some other info and with different weight bullets the recommended charge of 4350 varied a lot depeneding on which weight was used.

I`d double chech your data and verify the 4350 used is Hodgdons and not IMR. I tried looking at manuals I have to get a idea of where you`re at and only found three referances out of a dozen books. The Speer #12 and Hodgdon #26 list 49 and 47gr respectivly as max and the newer Sierra #5 max`s at 47.2 with 150gr bullets.
Compressed charges, if found in the manuals should be safe when worked up to. I`ve used a few in various cartridges and find they`re not as fast (velocity) or always as accurate as loads useing faster powders. I think you`ll find something like 4064 or varget to give you better performance with 150gr bullets in the 308.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I decided to put together some 308 loads for the first time tonight. I am loading for a winchester 88. I was using a 150 grn nosler ballistic tip. I looked at a couple manuels and decided on 51 grains of h4350 to start out with. I set the scales and poured this into the case, I looked and it darn near filled the thing up and after seating the bullet it made a compressed load. I was wondering if there is any possilbility this could be too hot a load?? I looked at some other info and with different weight bullets the recommended charge of 4350 varied a lot depeneding on which weight was used.

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I will admit I only saw listings for IMR 4350. Is there a significant difference between it and h4350?? I guess I better pull the bullets and put something else in there. I was wondering what the deal was so I thought I had better check here. I am not one to try and shoot too hot a reloads.

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think you'd have a problem with that load at all.
But, I don't want to be the one to tell you to go ahead and use it. Either IMR 4350 or H 4350 are too slow (ideally) for that combo. I think the reason alot of reloading manuals stop at about 47 grains is that would give you a pretty full case. You'd have not gotten the full 51 grains if you had IMR4350 because of the big granuals. Most people will tell you that I4350 is faster than H4350 but lately I seem to get more velocity out of equal charges of H4350. If you wanted to experiment and work up I'll bet you will be able to use the 51 grains......but you are probably on a good track to pull them and pick a better matched powder.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Using H-4350 at 51 gr. is to hot a load for a lever action Win. model 88 Hodgdon does not list this powder for the 308 win.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote