Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer choice
 Login/Join

posted
Working up a new .338wm load with RL-19 and 225 NAB. I don't have the nosler manual handy. What primer to use? CCI 250 which I have plenty of or something else? Hear alot of folks not using magnum primers. Any thoughts?

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornThe CCi 250s should be just fine for a hunting rifle. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know of RL-19 being particularly difficult to ignite, but in the .338 case you should be fine with either a "standard" or "magnum" powder. Having some CCI 250s in my loading cabinet, this is probably the primer I would start with -- although many other primers might do as well or better. Try them and see.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
I personally use CCI 250 primers in my belted mags. If you think you may have a problem igniting the powder due to extreme cold or what ever you might want to try Fed 215. It is supposed to be the hottest primer on the market.

Posts: 5 | Location: SW PA | Registered: 13 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Remington 9-1/2M Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
FC 215 GM second REM. 9.5M.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I would work up the load w/ a mag primer, Fed215 or RP 9 1/2. Then substitute a std. primer & see if accuracy doesn;t improve. The 338wm & RL19 is on the border for a mag primer IMO.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote