Find
Notify
Tools

LEE Pro 1000
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted
I'm looking at progressive presses for handgun ammo again..

I'm not now, nor will I ever be a serious handgunner, but I do like to shoot a bit, and want to speed up my loading process

What's the opinion of this press? I know it is no Dillon etc, but for relatively little money, I think I can make reasonable amounts of decent ammo quickly.

I'm thinking less than 5000 rounds per year.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of 1000s they work ok the primer feed is normaly what gives you the trouble. I would spend the extra money on the load master If I were buying again. If every thing go's all right with the 1000 I can easy get 700 rounds a hr out of it.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the lee 1000. It will load good ammo if you develop a system where you keep the primers full, give her a little tap every 5-6 rounds to keep them flowing properly and keep it free of any spilled powder. The powder thing only happens when you forget to keep the primers working well. I do like my loadmaster better. It has a much improved priming system, and room for more stations. For pistol reloading, I really like the lee system and the powder deliverly is very good. For rifle reloading, I tend to stay with my dillon. I think that if you used the Hornady powder measure set up for their progressive loader, you would have a great system. Lee's universal powder dies for the perfect powder measure has something to be desired. Check out ebay for some deals on the loadmaster. The last one I purchased was only $99.00 complete with a set of carbide dies and spair parts. Good luck with whatever press you decide to go with.

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one. Bought spare parts and converted it to a simple turret press which tells you how I feel about it.

As you have been told, the primer system gives problems. What you haven't been told is that one of the problems is blowing up with one hell of bang. You have no sensitivity on priming systems that operate on the ram's down stroke.

The AutoDisk Powder Measure gives problems, too, mostly not dropping a charge or dropping a short charge. The Pro version with the larger round hopper is a huge improvement but I still watch it close.

All that said, were I shooting large amounts of a single pistol cartridge (or of several that take the same shell carrier), I'd probably get another Pro1000. I'd operate it differently, though.

I'd size and decap with only that die mounted in a spare turret. The case feeder works pretty good. I'd prime with an AutoPrime or an AutoPrimeII. Then, I would do the charging, seating, and crimping on the Pro1000.

That would give a pretty good rate of production and sidestep the outright dangerous priming system.

Converting calibers is more trouble than it's worth

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I got the RCBS Pro 2000, and I really like it a bunch. They give you everything that you'd need to get goin, and doesn't cost you nearly as much as Dillion equipment.
For the money, I don't think that you can beat it, and the customer service is excellent too.
Just my .2 cents worth.
Robert

Posts: 15 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 02 March 2003Reply With Quote