Find
Notify
Tools

45 auto primer pocket to small???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted
I happened to ATTEMPTED to install primers in some winchester brass, 45 auto. And they didnt go in! I looked at three manuals, just to make sure CCI 300 Large Pistol was the right one. It was. What I noticed was the primer pocket inside diameter was smaller, and there was NO way the primers were going to fit properly. You could see where the puch/drill SHOULD have made the proper hole size, but didnt. Has anyone ever experienced this? The brass headstamp was factory Winchester NT 45 auto. I was given the brass from a friend, factory, shot one time. Does the "NT" signify anything? Wasnt there an ammo called "WinClean"? They were some of the cleanest burning brass I have ever seen though. Just kind of stumped me last night...

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Winclean or NT has a small pistol primer. Nothing wrong w/ the brass but you'll have to pay extra attention when sorting, then switch to small primer arm on your Dillon or other progressive, PITA IMO.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted Hide Post
I havent had a chance to look yet, but how hard is it to find the load data with small primers? I didnt even know there was brass out there made for/with small primers...Since I only have about 20 of those NT, I will probably just throw them out...oh the things ya learn...

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Load them the same as for LP. If anything, the pressure would likely be just a wee bit lower.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote