New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need load advice for 45 colt revolver
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just purchased a Ruger Stainless Blackhawk Bisley in 45 colt with 5.5" barrel that I would like to start reloading for. I am looking for load information for informal target/plinking loads and heavy hunting loads. I curently load for 15 calibers so reloading is not new to me, just the 45 colt. What are the most popular bullet weights and loads for these purposes?

Thanks!!

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Peter>
posted
Go to sixgunner.com and look for articles by Paco Kelly, John Linebaugh et al. Heavy loads involve H110 and 300gr. hard cast lead bullets. I use 20.5 I believe. 255gr. is the standard 45 Colt bullet and there are plenty of powders, 18.5 grs. 2400 is a standard load, but I have used AA#9, AA#5, Unique etc.
In any case, sixgunner is the web site for single action handgunners. John Taffin posts there.
peter.

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Peter,

I agree with you this website is great for single shot revolvers.

Don't mix up articles from John Linebaugh for his custom revolvers in .45 Colt, with articles for factory made .45 Colt revolver.

The loads for the two differents revolvers aren't the same.

But John and Paco have written very goods articles regarding factory made revolver and custom revolvers in .45 Colt.

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I have loaded for the .45 Colt Blackhawk since 1969 and I consider it a great revolver and not a rifle. So my loads now reflect that. I load it for fun and effect on small game and heaven forbid defense.

A got two cavity Saeco a mold long ago with a very wide meplat on the Keith style bullet. I load it with 9.5 grs of Unique and it never leads the bbl and is very accurate. The noise and recoil are just right for me.

You can load them hot and I have done so. I have loads with as much as 27 grs of H 240 in them behind jacketed bullets! I should pull those bullets. I have no idea how that great old gun stayed together with that stuff.

Just to add that I still use linotype for this plain base so the bullets are very hard and the velocity is 1000 fps.

[This message has been edited by Don Martin29 (edited 02-21-2002).]

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Shark -
A great practice/medium game load is 13 - 14 Blue Dot with 250 Hdy. XTP, 260 Speer Hollow Point, and 265 Cast Performance http://www.castperformance.com/ Heat Treated LBT's, for around 1100 FPS. I haven't even tried one of those on deer, but, I can't imagine it doing one any good

For general plinking around, any 250 grain cast with 8 or 9 grains Unique will suffice.

I've tried some of the heavier H110/W296 loads, and, they definitely give the old wrist bones a workout. Sixgunner.com is a good source for loads that will increase your grip strength.

Like Don says, rifles are better for a lot of things.

R-WEST

------------------
"What part of THOU SHALT NOT don't you understand?"
GOD

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For my hunting and backpacking load I use a hardcast 325 gr. LBT long flat nose bullet over enough W296 to be good for a touch over 1300 fps. I have used this load on two muleys; one trophy buck and one doe. Both were flattened. For hunting I think that any of the LBT style bullets from 300 gr. to 350 gr. are good. I have even used a LBT 400 gr. wide long nose! Well, only for range work so far. If you don't cast your own www.castperformance.com sells LBT style bullets in good range of weights and styles. They have loading data too.
For plinking I use a 250 gr. keith style bullet and sometimes a 255 gr. round nose over Alliant 2400.
Get a Redding profile crimp die. I have found it works exceptionally well with cast bullets and heavy loads.

[This message has been edited by DavidReed (edited 02-22-2002).]

[This message has been edited by DavidReed (edited 02-22-2002).]

Posts: 1243 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shark Bait

One question. Where did you procure the stainless Bisley? I have heard of them but never seen or handled one.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BER007:
Peter,
...single shot revolvers.

Dang! What should I do with the other five chambers? I believe you meant single action revolvers.

"...single shot six shooter..." was a quote from the movie POSSE (with Mario Van Peebles). After he said this, I turned the movie off, never finishing it.

BTW I too shoot a 325(and 300) hardcast bullets, to 1300+ fps, using heavy doses of H110.
Brian Pearce, in the artical from Rifle magazine titled "Sixgun Cartridges In Rifles"
Jan 2002, mentioned using...

45LC(Ruger revolver/Win M94)
310 NEI SWC Keith
H-110 ...25 grains
CCI 350 primer
1820 fps in a M94
1391 Ruger revolver
~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I've been using 9-9.5 grains of Unique for a lot of years, behind a 255 grain cast slug sized .454. Matter of fact this Sunday will be spent casting a couple thousand using two four cavity molds.
It's my guess that this Unique load would settle the hash of most anything.
For heavy weight shooting I have a Saeco 4 cavity throwing wonderful 300 grain SWC. I put this in front of 20 grains of H-110 and use it in the Anaconda and the Rossi lever gun.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 45 colt is a very versitile cartridge and, incidently the 1st cartridge I loaded for. I found a wide variety of load info in the Speer load book. For several years now there have been high power loads designed high strength Ruger revolvers as compared to the older colts and clones. When starting out I was given the good advice to use Unique powder. This powder is bulky enough that you really can't over load a case for your Ruger. In fact it's possible to reach 44 magnum performance from the old gal. After dabbling in the heavy stuff I have settled on a lighter load of Unique with 255 gr JHP. bullets.

------------------
Endeavor to Persevere

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote