Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-06 PLEASE HELP......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi and Thanks in Advance:

I have been toying around with the idea of building a long range target rifle 1000 yard gun. It will be used for fun shooting at this point and no formal competitions....I like the 6.5-06, and was considering it in an Ackley improved chamber......Then I read somewhere that the improved chamber actually cut velocity by about 50fps....I would like to use a Savage Action, and go with a barrel 28-30" long.....
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Frank D

Posts: 142 | Location: NY | Registered: 03 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Frank, I also shoot a 6.5-06 as my primary varmint rifle. While I don't shoot a 1000 yard varmints it is a very accurate rifle. My barrel is 26 inches with a 1:9 Twist. I recommend at least 26 inches for the 6.5-06 to take advantage of the powder capacity. Standard 6.5-06 cases are easy to make while 6.5-06 IMP require fireforming. I am not a big fan of fireforming, as I can't keep enough ammo on hand for my rifle as it is. Good luck with your project. Russ

Posts: 5 | Location: South Korea | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a 6./06 neck 092 with tight base in a 30 inch and 32 inch barrel that a very nice cartridge and accurate at 1000 yards and easy for 1200 yards ( 139/142 bullet still supersonic up to 1400 yards with full load )
6.5/06 AI doesnt do more only main improvement for me is the sharp shoulder wich help to stopcase lenghteneing and kep you case more longer with original case trim lenght
6.5/06 AI need very slow powder but6.5/06 works nice with Vit N165 or IMR7828 .

barrel up to 28 inchgive you top velocity

If you need more ( chamber drawing .... let me know )

DANTEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 6.5-06AI, for 1000 yards I load it with the 142 SMK, starting off at 3050, I can boost it higher but, that gives the best accuracy. I load 56 grains of RL22, Fed 210M primer and Rem 30-06 cases necked down and turned.

For Deer sized game I load the Hornady 129 grain Interlock at approx 3200.

For varmints I load the 95 grain Vmax with a velocity of 3400+, don't remember the exact velocity.

I prefer the Ackley configuration because of the extended case life.

It works for me at any range I decide to shoot.

Pecos

Posts: 93 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Don't fall for the baloney that the AI increases cases life. The standard 30/06 case will last as long as it's neck. In a standard headspaced chamber it will not stretch.

Just an old wifes tale passed along.

Both these cartridge are wildcats in any case. There must be something better for the purpose?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos:

What are the specs on your barrel?

Frank D

Posts: 142 | Location: NY | Registered: 03 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mod70 action, blueprinted, factory stock that I opened up barrel channel, mainly cause my toy fund ran dry, Shilen ss select match barrel 1-8 twist, 26 inches long, its a #5 contour, same as Rem puts on their factory varmint rifles. Weighs in at jest under 11 lbs with the Weaver K-16 scope I use on it.

Pecos

Posts: 93 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank d, the only time an Ackley round looses velocity is when fireforming. When the original case is fired in an Ackley chamber. The blowing out process reduces velocity, after fireforming and case volume is increased, you normally gain 200 fps. Also gained is case life, I`ve had both the 6.5-06 and the AI version and can attest savage 99 is wrong. There is less taper as well as an increased shoulder angle, both help reduce stretch. I do like the AI version best, although I had a 264 win. mag built this summer. It`s better yet!!

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote