THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243 with Barnes 85 gr TSX loads using IMR4350?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone worked up any loads with this bullet/powder combination? I get excellent results with this powder for Sierra 75gr. HP and 100gr. BTSP. Would like to use this powder for the Barnes TSX 85gr. Thanks.

>
I'd rather be a CONSERVATIVE NUTJOB than a Liberal with no NUTS & No JOB
>

Posts: 643 | Location: Somewhere Out There | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
aerostarp, that is a good powder for the 85gr. TSX, and other 85gr's as well 95- 100. try 41.0 to 44.0 something in that area should work for you with the 85gr. 6.5 SWEDE.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Swede:

I just finished a really extensive search "again" of the past posts and finally found that that is the range people have reported using.

What is the COL that you are using with this bullet? I do not know how to measure 0.050" off the lands that Barnes seems to recommend.I am using a Savage Model 11 bolt action. Wayne

>
>

Posts: 643 | Location: Somewhere Out There | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I get really nice results out of 38 grains of Varget and the Barnes 85 grain TSX in my Sako L579.

The only way to know about the distance off the lands you are seating the bullets is to measure.

You can buy a Stoney Point gauge and do it well, or you can fiddle with it by seating a bullet far out in an unprimed case then chambering it and hoping it doesn't move much as you extract it. COAL is NOT a viable way to gauge distance off the lands between rifles, particularly different manufacturer's rifles. Chamber neck lengths vary. COAL is likewise not a reliable gauge with bullets of different shape.

Were it me, I would buy the Stoney Point gauge. I have one and I use it a lot. With the TSX once you get close to the right load you vary COAL until you find the combination your rifle likes. With the Barnes, this is often critical. Once you have it right they do tend to shoot exceptionally well. Having killed deer with a 243 and the TSX I can tell you it's a winner there for sure and worth the work up effort.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Miles:

After I read your post last night and researched a little more I realized that asking for the COL used was not a good indicator for the reasons you mentioned. Wayne

>
>

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also use 38gr of Varget, have shot clover leaf groups with it. My rifle, a SS Tikka T3 243 win also likes 40gr Varget but I opted for the lighter load because it shoots slightly better and is easier on brass. They are deadly on deer and antelope, I agree!

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Aerostarp,

4350 is a good powder, I did my first workups on a 243 with it many, many years ago. You might look into Varget though. For middle range bullets IMO it's the best thing going. It's very linear, very predictable as a result, and not much affected by temperature. I think if you stay in the middle range weights of bullets for a given caliber you'll find it's awful hard to beat, I have found it to be exceptional for 243s, 270's, 308s and 30-06s. Smaller stuff you can push OK with gopher farts and bigger stuff you can use five pounds of coal.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Miles:

Will give Varget a try next when I finish up the IMR4350. I have been using a lot of Blue Dot for lighter loads for my kid as per Seafire's recommendations. He loves the load.

So you would recommend using Varget over IMR4350 for working up the Barnes 85gr. TSX?

>
>

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try W7760 / AR2209. I am using 46 grains in a sako finnlite for 3200fps and 1/2 inch groups or better. Works well on deer.

Posts: 56 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 01 March 2008Reply With Quote