New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prepping bullets for Moly Coating.
 Login/Join

<Dalton>
posted
Just out of curiosity I wanted some feedback on what people were using to prep their bullets prior to molying them or if you are doing any prep work at all.

Personally I have been soaking the bullets for about 30 minutes in the cheapest glass cleaner I can buy from Wal-Mart . Then let the bullets dry completely prior to powder molying them in my tumbler.

I have found that this removes any oil that may be on the bullets when they are manufactured. This method gives me a thick even coverage of moly coating on my bullets.

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I've never done any prep and haven't noticed any problems (yet). Maybe it's because my bullets have usually been sitting around for a few years before I get around to mollying them and the factory sizing lube has dried up. Maybe.

I read a few years ago how Ralph Constantine had sabotaged his mollying process by not allowing his prep solvent to evacuate the hollowpoint cavity before tumbling. Careful!

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I bought one of those metal "spaghetti strainer" things. I dump my bullets into that, squirt "Dawn" dishwashing liquid all over them, then swirl them around while running them under "HOT" water from the faucet. I repeat this a few times, then I dump them out onto a paper towel and let them air dry. Because they're hot from the water, drying doesn't take long... but I usually let them set for a day, while doing other things, before I coat them with moly. I never used to prep bullets, but I do anymore. I personally feel the moly really does adhere better to a clean surface. The bullets ARE dirty when you buy them; if you don't believe me, clean them with an appropriate solution, and a paper towel or clean rag, and look at the dirt you get.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Varmint Hunter>
posted
I just tumble them in untreated corn cob media, as recommended by NECO. Never had a problem. Fast, clean & easy.
VH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dalton, I use a sequence somewhat similar to what Russ is doing.

I put the bullets in a plastic bucket with hot water and Dawn. Dawn really cuts oil and grease, so I've not bothered trying any other soap. About every 10min I swirl them around. And the total soak time is about 30min.

I rinse well with hot water with the bullets poured into a colander(the spaghetti strainer Russ mentioned) and pour them out on a towel. I take great care not to touch the bullets at this point. And they go out in our normally wide open SE sunshine to dry. Since hot water is used, that goes quickly.

I don't touch them with my fingers again until the Carnuba(liquid Kit Car Wax) is applied to the Moly Coated bullets.

As far as I know, Sierra is the only Bullet company to wash their bullets right before boxing. So, the comments about most bullets being dirty are correct. The jacket "Forming Lube" residue remains to some extent on all others. But, I rewash the Sierras too.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't molycoated any bullets in a couple of years, but I used to give the bullets a quick acetone bath. I never had a problem getting the moly to stick after using the acetone.

I once got a batch of bullets that must have had some insidious lube on them that I didn't notice. It contaminated my moly shot, and I had to clean and degrease the shot. What a pain the the behind that was.

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Varmint Hunter:
I just tumble them in untreated corn cob media, as recommended by NECO. Never had a problem. Fast, clean & easy.
VH

Ditto. Two hours in the untreated corn cob media, then ten minutes with the powder and steel ball bearings. If I can still see copper, I add a little more powder and tumble ten more minutes.

I use the RCBS tumbler (extra drum for coating), and Danzac instead of moly. The Danzac kit included everything except tumbler from Ron Hoehn for about $80, IIRC?

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
<TomJ>
posted
I've been coating a lot of Hornadys and a few Noslers. I washed the Hornadys once before I coated them and couldn't tell a difference. So, I usually just dump 'em into the tumbler and forget about cleaning them first. They turn out beautiful.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I spray my bullets with brake cleaner before applying moly,have concerns about doing it to poly tipped bullets though.Think i'm going to try V.H. and Bill's corn cob method,If anything it has to be better for the enviroment.

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tried a couple of ways to do it.
Just dropping the bullets in the tumbler. (can work, but often does'nt)
Tumbling with corn cob. (takes too long and is messy as well as it means that I have to use absolutely clean untreated media)
And degresing the bullets first with a degreasing liquid that EVAPORATES FAST, BUT AT THE SAME TIME DOES'NT HARM PLASTIC TIPS. (alcohol works great)
This last option is what I stick to.
I throw the bullets in a jar pour the liquid over, let it sit there for half an hour, then pour the bullets out on a dry, clean towell and without touching, from there to the tumbler.

Have a great one
Niels

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote