THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case Trimmers - Wilson - Forster - Redding?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm in the process of ordering some reloading stuff tonight on line.

I'm undecided as to which trimmer to get.

A search here reveals a toss up between the Forster and the Wilson. No mention of the Redding. (which is the one I'm leaning towards. [Big Grin]

TIA

TBC

[ 09-14-2003, 12:48: Message edited by: The Birth Controller ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Got the Redding w/the power adapter. [Cool]

-

[ 09-14-2003, 13:05: Message edited by: The Birth Controller ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW,
Wilson/Sinclair..

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that the Redding will do you a fine job.

The Wilson does enjoy a feature that the others do not; it does not use a pilot that can score the inside of the case neck.

They all accomplish the same thing, just go about it in different ways,
good luck

<Abe Normal>
posted

<bobcash>
posted
Simpler is better........Wilson.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
some case trimmers can also outside neck turn (lyman and rcbs i think) and the price is right.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Birth Controller:
I'm in the process of ordering some reloading stuff tonight on line.

I'm undecided as to which trimmer to get.

A search here reveals a toss up between the Forster and the Wilson. No mention of the Redding. (which is the one I'm leaning towards. [Big Grin]

TIA

TBC

..I have HEARD nothing but good things about the Wilson but haven't used one or know anyone who has one....I do have a Forster and have the outside neck turner addon for it....the collet on the Forster works well and is a little different in design from others and it works well for consistant lengths with cases that haven't been banged up on the rim.....I also have a OLD RCBS trimmer and it does ok but I have a new Trim Pro with the plate caseholders and for volumne work the plates are much faster to position the cases and if the pilot of the trimmer doesn't "pop" straight in you need to look for bad/out of square case.......a power screwdriver can be used to power the Forster and RCBS for faster/slow cutting of a lot of cases......don't forget to let the cutter cool a little on long cutting sessions and use a good lube/imperial wax and brush the cutter clear of the brass with a old toothbrush to let the cutter blades get flush with the mouth....enjoy the "hunt" and good luck and good shooting and loading!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The case trimmer is about the only Redding product I do not own. I have great faith in anything they produce. Having said that, I have an RCBS and a Forster. Both work very well. I have no complaints with either. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
I initially started out w/ a Hornady, which I believe is mechanically similar to a lot of the designs put forth by the big name reloading companies (Redding, RCBS, etc.) I had a horrible time w/ it, gettign accuracy of plus/minus 10 thou, so I returned it.

I then ordered a Wilson trimmer w/ the full Sinclair package, including the Starrett micrometer. The simplicity and accuracy of this system has to be seen/used to be truly appreciated. I believe it is almost impossible to trim the case mouths not square, and not evenly. At the very least, it probably takes a dedicated effort. And the micrometer feature, while spendy, is worth it for me, loading for different calibers. I can literally just dial back to the proper setting for a given length and go to town. The biggest downside of the system, i.e. the expense of getting separate case holder bodies for each cartridge you use (some, like .243/.260/7-08/308 and .270/.30-06 work for families of cartridges w/ similar case dimensions) is also its biggest strength: They are what holds the case parallel to the base and square to the cutter every time.

I know a lot of people like the Forster; I don't doubt their results. I'm sure there are people who have good results from the Redding. But the Wilson is so stone simple it's silly, and if you can afford to eventually upgrade to the micrometer, oh my!

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Milanuk said.

Except: I went the cheapie route and didn't get the micrometer doodad or the Sinclair clamp. I just clamp my Wilson trimmer in a vise (With proper protection, of course), and start cranking.

The Wilson't strongest selllng point, IMHO, is its abillity to trim without chattering at the case mouth.

The micrometer thingie would be neat though.

Posts: 26 | Location: Tekamah, Nebr. | Registered: 26 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Lee case trimers with the stud and pilot pin that fits in the flash hole of the case. Use them in a drill press. They are accurate, low cost (cheap), easy to use, FAST, and can trim a lot of case neck in a few seconds. No need to cut off the case neck when forming 8 mm or 7.65 mm Mauser, or 7.7 mm Japanese from 30/06 brass; just trim it off. Try one in a drill press. You only need the cutter and the "stud" for the caliber you want to trim. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Posts: 33 | Location: United States | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've used the Wilson for twenty five years and it's truly a joy to use. I to have the micrometer and the stand and unless someone else can build a machine-shop style trimmer, then there's no comparison.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind, but if not, then do yourself a favor and buy the Wilson.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Safeshot, I use the Lee and I've had nearly every trimmer on the market over the years. I got tired of setting them up for each different caliber. With the Lee, you simply change the case length gauge and let 'er rip. I can trim cases faster on this setup than any trimmer I've ever tried. You can chuck the lock stud in a drill and really go fast and you can't make a mistake. Every case is exactly the same length and there's no binding of the pilot.

[ 09-17-2003, 13:08: Message edited by: Bobby ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got two, a Lyman unoversal, and a Wilson. Got the Wilson ia a box of "stuff" purchased a few years ago a some gun show. Surprise, suprise, I find I use the Wilson the most. No chatter, no stuck pilots..no problems, it couldn't be easier.

For the high volume shooter, I still think about the Gracie, or some other electric type, but if I've learned anything at all, I'm done with the light weight hobby stuff.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I must agree with Safeshot, and Bobby.
I chucck the LEE cutter and caselength guage
in my mini lathe, and hold the lockstud and
shellholder with a stubby screwdriver handle.
In the time it takes to get the other type
trimmers set up and adjusted I can have
twenty cases trimmed.

Lyle

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Wilson allows you to true case heads for that special rifle.

Eddie

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
This is a picture of my Wilson/Sinclair Trimmer mounted on a my reloading bench via the Thompson Tool Mount System. A very simple and very precise system.  -
Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a Wilson for 40 years and a Forster for 20 and don't use either any more. I buy a Redding file trim die for every cartridge I own. there is no need to measure or adjust the trimmer. Just screw the die in the press like a sizing die and run the case into the die. Take a file and file off anything that sticks out of the die. I then use a wilson tool to deburr the case mouth. The result is a uniform case length that will always be the same. No trimmer to adjust, no pilots to change, no cutter to sharpen. Works for me.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I have a Forster and a Lyman. Both do about equal jobs of trimming, but the jaw setup on the Lyman allows you to load cases into the trimmer and remove them a lot faster than you can with the collet-type setup on the Forster.

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I'm a wilson fan

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the lee stuff. Very simple,like me. The only thing wrong with them is the fact you cannot alter the length, without doing it permently.
Charger that sounds like a slow process to me and not adjustable either. You really should look at the Lee stuff, it is quick.

Posts: 40 | Location: Phoenix AZ. | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got my Redding Trimmer today.

Very happy with it so far. Loading and unloading the case is fast and easy. No "chatter" from the cutter. Simple to make .001 adjustments to the trim length.

3 necksized loadings on my WW .22-250 brass has put it over trim length ... so I have a lot of trimming ahead of me. [Smile]

TBC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

Man you're something! Is that an oak block the Wilson is on? [Eek!]

No pine 2X4 for you. [Big Grin]

(Just a friendly poke in the ribs)

TBC

quote:
Originally posted by Matt in Virginia:
Gentlemen,
This is a picture of my Wilson/Sinclair Trimmer mounted on a my reloading bench via the Thompson Tool Mount System. A very simple and very precise system.  -
Regards, Matt.

[ 09-19-2003, 08:23: Message edited by: The Birth Controller ]