THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Barnes TSX Loading Data - more help needed!!!!!!!!

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes TSX Loading Data - more help needed!!!!!!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys loading the TSX are you using the Barnes manual or other? I can't find a local shop that has a barnes manual and comment I got was just use my Nosler. Was thinking about trying the TSX in my 7mm mag in the 150 gr/BT version to compare with 150gr Part.

I am running 4831 powder seeing I still haven't found any Re22. So far pleased, will it be ok for the TSX?

Thanks

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Well, since you didn't list which 4831...

H-4831 From 57.2 grains to 67.5 grains
CCI-200 Primer

IMR-4831 From 56.0 grains to 66.5 grains
CCI-200 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Ty, at Barnes, told me to use the Swift manual because their jackets are solid copper too. It worked for me just fine.

I had best results with H1000, Retumbo, Re22 and IMR4350 with the 150 bullets.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry IMR 4831 is what I am using.

I turned up a manual today and bought some 140 gr TSX BT's to see how they fair. In reading the manual this evening I noticed they suggest .050" off the lands for seating. Is this just a guideline to start or what? I seat my Nosler's .020" off the lands and get the results I desire.

Sorry for the dumb questions first time I am loading a barnes bullet solo, so I appreciate any tips, help or feedback.

one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skhunter:
Sorry IMR 4831 is what I am using.

I turned up a manual today and bought some 140 gr TSX BT's to see how they fair. In reading the manual this evening I noticed they suggest .050" off the lands for seating. Is this just a guideline to start or what? I seat my Nosler's .020" off the lands and get the results I desire.

Sorry for the dumb questions first time I am loading a barnes bullet solo, so I appreciate any tips, help or feedback.

The only dumb questions is one unasked. Wink

There should have been a pamplet inside the Box of those TSX's that will be of some help for you.

Yes, 0.050 off the lands is the suggested Starting seating depth for the TSX's.Adjusting the seating depth in or out to find what your rifle likes the best.

They also suggest using the Regular X Bullet Data,not the XLC.

Good Luck.

Have a Great Day and God Bless

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
skhunter,

You'll be fine with the IMR4831. I had a couple of 3/4" groups with it but the others did better.

To date, every single rifle that I put a TSX through prefers the bullet to be VERY close to the lands. I've always started at 0.050, but have found that the closer to the lands the better. Just a tip.

I'd say I've shot about 250 TSX bullets to date in 7 different rifles. The deeper the bullet was seated the increase in spread on paper.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tiny thanks, I opened a box and read the pamplet where they suggest starting at .050 but mention tweaking .030 to .070 for seating depth.

Doc thank you for your reply. I have found that .020 off the lands with IMR4831 works very well with Nosler's in this particular rifle. I had just planned do to the same for the Barnes for starters! Just curious what experienced TSX shooters are doing in the "Real World"ltWink.

one of us
posted Hide Post
skhunter,

I've gone to TSX in five rifles now with excellent results. So good I just use the setting of .050 out on 4 of 5. I tried from the recommended .030 to .070 and got almost no difference. The fifth, a custom 308 that shoots very well showed .020 to be the ticket. With this rifle I fuss over a tenth of an inch in group size and the others are pure hunters so I don't. I won't go any closer as it's already exceeding Barnes recommendation and they must have a good basis. Corporate lawyers can get you to do stupid things, however, they are a knowledgable group and I doubt they want anyone loading there bullets to have accuracy issues for no reason.

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
easyup thanks for the feedback much appreciated.

Yeap lawyers make it fun to interp or read between the lines, just like max loads it is all precaution as they can not be sure what is safe in your rifle!

I am only wanting it for hunting as well but have a level in which I find good vs just acceptable when it comes to accuracy in my hunting rifles. I just found it odd they suggest so far off the lands when everything I found is closer is better & Nosler manuals states .015 -.03" for seating. I will of course follow their reccomendations for seating, just nice to hear what others are finding.

posted Hide Post
Skhunter,

The reason that Barnes recommend .050 off the lands is due to the fact the bullets are copper and behave slightly differently to jacketed lead ones. I belive that extra jump helps to lessen the pressure spike...

In my 9.3x62 with ordinary Barnes X I get groups averaging between 3/4" and 1" and thats the with bullet seated .065 off the lands..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skhunter:
Guys loading the TSX are you using the Barnes manual or other? I can't find a local shop that has a barnes manual and comment I got was just use my Nosler. Was thinking about trying the TSX in my 7mm mag in the 150 gr/BT version to compare with 150gr Part.

I am running 4831 powder seeing I still haven't found any Re22. So far pleased, will it be ok for the TSX?

Thanks

Only loaded a couple times for the 7mmMag, but always used IMR4831 with 154 Hornadys, 63grs. If I remember correctly. But, if I were to do the round again, would use H4831sc, meters through my Hornady measure much better.
BTW, First time I loaded the 154s, my buddy that bought the rifle from me(XTR model 70) he put the first 3 shots in a 1/2" group. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first of the year I tried the 270,130 gr.TSX because I wanted to try them on a hog hunt they worked super,even got the hog.I got a load sheet for them off short mag site and set the col at their suggested COL,which was 2.80 for every bullet weight except the 120 and it was 2.775,and they used a reg primer untill they got to 140 gr bullets. below is the target I work my load with didn't take but a few shots to find the right load.I used I4831 with 66.5 grs.and fed primer 210.
Shot the hog @150 yds in the throat,it about tore its whole throat out,it dropped at the shot but got up and went about 20 yds before it expired.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got some RL 22 finally! Loaded some TSX tonight with the RL22 and IMR 4831. Weather permitting hoping to head out weds night to the range to see how they perform.

Thanks again. I'll be sure to report back my results.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
mind your bolt with Alliant powders in the summer. I've read where folks were getting sticky bolt handles with middle to near max loads when outside temps are above 85.

I personally don't like shooting when outside temps are over 75.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc, funny you should mention this, as I went to the range tonight and had problems with ejecting spent cases(bolt threw up fine, just sluggish to almost stuck to draw out the case). The cold shots were only minor but at the end of 4 or 5 group she was damn right tight. All the cases looked fine interms of pressure sign, no primer roll back or excessive expansion/stress, etc. In fact I tried some federal NBT 150 grs factroy loads another had and found the same thing (yet not nearly as excessive as the handloads). The outside temp was above 80 and I was waiting a good 20 minutes between groups. Groups were good for the first attempt most were 1" or better. Originally I was thinking it was just temp or the mag primers but after the factories gave me some grief was thinking my gunsmith may have to get involved? Gun is spic and span clean throughout (as always) and I checked the throat for any marks, etc ..Notta. Brass has the usual marks above the belt but show no other areas of concern.

BTW, my best accuracy load was 69 RL22 using Federal GGM Mag primers with the 140gr TSX. 66 & 68 gr didn't produce as good 3 shot groups, usually first 2 touching and the 3rd about 1" flyer to right!

Not sure if I should try loading with reg rifle primers or IMR4831 or try on a cooler day or just take to my smith? Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!

Haven't noticed this problem much in the past unless I am pushing the redline. Then again I usually don't shoot in such temperatures but no kids, no wife and new load just had to GO!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention I tried .050 - .020 off the lands. Just like my other loads the .020 to be the most accurate vs seating further out.

Took my rifle to my gunsmith, he looked over the brass and figured as I was close to the line but certainly not over with the 69gr load. He said the temp outside probably contributed to the excessive force required but that it shouldn't ever be as bad as I described. Left it with him to polish the chamber and do a once over. So we'll see what he comes up with and then go from that point.

One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
What I have read from Barnes is to use their X bullet data to load the TSX... Start with the min. load, and work up, looking for pressure signs, etc. I've been kinda dissapointed myself when it comes to finding loading data for the TSX.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Update: got her back turned out near the rear of the chamber there were some small machine grooves (he referred to them as "reamer marks"). All my rounds fired showed a small ring above the belt under very close inspection which in turn was the sign of the culprit for the sticky cases. The test fired showed he corrected the problem, in both factory and my own handloads, effortless case extraction resulted (temp. is still over 80 degree's BTW)..hoooray!!!