New
Find
Notify
Tools

new to reloading-any suggestions ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
hello everyone ! as the subject states I am VERY interested in learning to reload ammo for my self . I am completly new to the game and I was just wondering if anyone can suggest what loading kit (press,scale,powder measure,etc) I should lean towards?I want to start out with good stuff and not get jobbed right off the bat by buying the wrong stuff then have to upgrade because my skills caught up with my crappy equipment! If anyone can help I will be very grateful!

Posts: 52 | Location: TEXAS yall' | Registered: 07 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I bought the RCBS kit with the Rock Chucker press years ago and am still using most of it after having loaded thousands of rounds with it. I have, of course, added other equipment over the years but the RCBS press is a great way to get started.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought the RCBS kit with the Rock Chucker press years ago

I started with an RCBS Junior then moved up to the Rock Chucker. I mainly use RCBS euipment due to their warranty. You break it they replace it no questions asked.

Hornday has a special running right now. Buy their press or their kit and get your first 500 bullets free. I think the special runs to mid December.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, RCBS. I've had mine for 13 years, no reason to get anything else. Think mine was the rock chucker too, but I've had it so long I don't remember! Roll Eyes

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths."

Posts: 411 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: 10 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
flynbrian, welcome to AR.
I like to buy good stuff one time also. Having said that, your budget can have some impact--but

First and foremost, get at least a couple of reloading manuals, I always like the Nosler and Speer--but have several others also. Read the sections on reloading in these manuals!

As to the gear (the fun part) I would highly recommend the RCBS master reloading kit. There is also a version which includes the electronic chargemaster powder dispenser/scale combo, and I would go to that if cost isn't a factor. You will probably hear from some who say you should start with a basic balance beam scale--I respectfully disagree. Some folks just don't like digital scales, but the truth is, almost all serious lab work is done on digital scales, you calibrate them just as you would a beam, and they are simple and easy to get good results with IME.

A couple of neat accessories I always tout are, the Satern powder funnels, which are caliber specific, they've got em at Sinclair and MidWay.

I also really like the 'heavy duty' poly loading blocks from Sinclair, they are very stable, and the one that comes with the RCBS kit is just kind of gippy quality, althought it will work fine......Imperial die wax is a great way to lube cases, and is all I use anymore, you just wipe it on with your fingers, and the give the case a couple of twists with a towel after you size it, and you're done. The RCBS kits come with lube and a lube pad, you might try that for a while, I've still got my original one, and there is quite a lot of lube left in the little bottle--Imperial is just easier for me to fool with.
Don't fart around with trying to clean cases some other way, go ahead and get a tumbler and seperator from the get go. Some of the kits will include this.

For cleaning primer pockets, I just use a Sinclair 'Primer pocket uniformer' you chuck it up in a cordless drill, and it machines your pockets to a uniform size and depth, when my uniformer doesn't hit the bottom of the pockets anymore, I discard that brass--maybe overkill, but that's what I do.

For trimming, I highly recommend the Wilson/Sinclair trimmer kit. It is pricey, but a very nice piece. You need to buy caliber specific holders for each cartridge family (i.e. the case that holds .308 also holds 30-06, .270, 25-06 etc.) one holder per parent case size...On many of the cartridges you need a holder for both new and fired brass--that's a pain, but it works great....My second choice for a trimmer would be the RCBS trim pro--preferably the power version.

As to dies, I think it's hard to beat RCBS, but I like Forster and Hornady dies too, and use almost always Redding competition bullet seater dies. For just starting, the standard RCBS dies for the caliber you're gonna load is probably the best way to go.

A collet style bullet puller is a good tool, you will eventually need to take a round apart, probably sooner than later actually, but that's something you can wait a little while on--I don't like the 'hammer' or inertial style pullers, I have one and it's always worked, there's just something about pounding away on a hard surface with a live round in there I never liked......

For priming I would really highly recommend getting the RCBS kit that gives you the univeral hand primer, that way you don't have to fool with shellholders for your priming.

Think through real well where your bench will be set up, and where you want your components on the bench. It's a good idea to invest in a few C-clamps, and clamp your press or whatever to the table, and use it in that position for a while, until you are sure you like it there, and then bolt it down. A few of my pieces of gear have never moved, but they are still just clamped to the bench instead of bolted to it!

Think about your lighting for your bench area, some folks cite bad experiences with flourescent lights, especially near digital scales, I haven't had that issue myself, but thelights in my shop are pretty far above the bench....I also have some halogen lights in a few spots--those damn things get HOT!! Having some good shelves is great, and a cabinet nearby to lock stuff away from prying hands if necessary is worth thinking about too.......

Good luck to you, and feel free to ask ?'s, there is a lot of good intel, and good folks on this site.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys , first , I would like to say thanks ! Second let me say I will take your suggestions and run with them. I guess a person comes to the point when you have to say enough is enough.When I think of all the 40 and 50 dollar boxes of shells I have bought over the years ...whew... well let me say~ it was way too much to have not been reloading.I am glad I came here first because I WAS leaning towards the Lee Precision line ( mainly beacuse of the price)now I think I am headed in a better direction. Thanks againfor the help and I am sure it will not be the last time I have to ask a question of you all !! lol thumb

Posts: 52 | Location: TEXAS yall' | Registered: 07 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Rock Chucker kit would be good (and I have a Rock Chucker) but I would look at a Lee Classic and a Redding Boss as well . I think you can get kits for these . A complete kit should get you going . Load some and determine what your needs are and then buy some additional tools .Two things I think you need soon are a good set of Calipers and a hand priming tool (I use Lee but I am sure the RCBS is a good way to go) .Also I think the Lyman manual is the best for beginners . I like the way it is layed out and it is updated every few years . Good luck . I have been loading since 1974 and the pile of stuff I have collected would fill a small room .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Across the board, I believe Redding's equipment to be superior to RCBS's, with one exception. RCBS markets O'Haus scales, and I can't say that Redding's is any better.

Take a look at Redding's equipment. The presses are tighter and better designed. The Benchrest powder measures are superior. Redding offers several kit combinations.

I am surprised there have been no recommendations for the Forster Co-ax press yet; may be a little early in the thread.

Look, and then decide what best suits your own needs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lyman, RCBS, Redding, they are all good. Buy some good reloading books, that is what you really need.

Posts: 116 | Location: Eastport Maine | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd have to say in all of the hundreds of threads I've read like this where a newbie wants advice on a press kit to start with, the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master is recommended the most, by far.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductreview.exe/GetReviews?productid=646599

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000449357

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Rock Chucker Supreme....loads 'em all...even the nito express rounds. Can't go wrong with it. As other posters stated...just add the various accessories as you need and can afford. READ....READ....and digest all the info...especially the safety stuff in the manuals. Resolve yourself that you will make mistakes and learn from them....ALL OF US DID....but of course that's why we're all "experts" now Roll Eyes. It is fun!

Best of luck.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know it does a man good to know that people out there are still willing to help one another.......with my utmost thanks I tip my hat to you all ! patriot

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I use a Lee Classic Turret Press and it has worked flawlessly for me, but I have only been reloading a couple months. I have a Dillon Precision scale that I really like also. The Lee Dies have worked fine for my 45-70, just check out the group in my avatar. I use Redding dies for my 7mm and 6mmAI when it gets built, but overall I'm really pleased with Lee products. I do have an RCBS Uniflow powder thrower, and it is pretty consistent although hard to adjust very precisely at all. I wish it came with the better adjustment screw instead of it being an extra.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a mountain of reloading crap, from the Rockchucker kit and other purchases.

I don't use much of it.

Here is a list of the stuff I still use:
1) Forster Co-ax press
2) Forster full length factory honed dies
3) RCBS uniflow powder measure
4) RCBS 505 powder scale
5) Redding Imperial die wax
6) Wilson case mouth chamfer
7) Forster priming tool
8) Lyman pocket uniformer [for cleaning]
9) Lyman moly vibrator kit
10) Berry's Bullets vibrator cleaner