Find
Notify
Tools

Need loads for 280 Ackly Improved
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of befus
posted
Having been a fan from afar since I was a child, and having recently gone through all the information (not a lot) on .280 Remington Ackley Improved, I decided to purchase a rifle in this caliber. I know we all have divergent opinions, but I just could not find a better all purpose chambering and to me it appears to have about all a guy would want. Shoots flat, shoots a great caliber bullet, less recoil than many rifles with similar ballistics, and appears inheriently accurate. OK, as you can see I am sold.

Now I need loads as there are few available online. If you would care to give me a hint or two on loads you find useful I would be in your debt.

befus

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
for 140-150gr pills use RL22 and H4831sc, start mid-way through parent cartridge data, and work up.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
I had Jarret rifles build one for me. Love the cartridge.They might give you loading info.I have seen info for it in a reloading manual(Nosler???)

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Befus go get one of the load books for the 280 Remington.In it you will find two pages of data
for the 280 improved and an article by Kenny Jarret about the cartridge itself.
As already stated RL22 is a good choice.

Posts: 57 | Location: Parker Texas | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
for my 280 imp. I'm shooting n160. It's the most consistant powder i've found.
Deano

Posts: 22 | Location: Birchwood Tn | Registered: 12 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
62.5g Reloader 22 and the 140g ballistic tip is a standard in many rifles.

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
The Nosler manual has data on the 280 AI.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of befus
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I ordered some brass and the Nosler #5 book yesterday from Midway; wish I had known about the .280 load book having info in it.

The rifle itself will not be here until at least next wek, so I'll have plenty of time to get things set up. I plan on fire forming with about 15 grains of Unique and some cream of wheat, hopefully that will get the job done.

befus

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote